What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Photoshop CC2017.1 gone mad

gedstar

Guru
What is it with the latest version of PS

I had 182 GB free space on my SSD and working on some images from Bridge I noticed it went down to 168 GB so ran WinDirStat to see where the space went and thanks to Adobe and there new buggy update Media cache files is using 13 GB of space

View attachment 73440

So it's back to version 2017.01 for me, along with the other issue I reported about PSCC2017.1 using excessive scratch disk space when using the Patch Tool

I think it's time to learn Affinity Photo, PS is just becoming waaaaaaay to buggy of late :banghead:

Pipsmom

Guru
Glad you found the answer.....
Now for the stupid Newby question of the day....What's a scratch disk, what does it do and how would I go,about checking mine :shocked:

gedstar

Guru
@Pipsmom

I may have found the solution but that doesn't fix the issue, it means I can't use Bridge, most likely another bug Adobe will never fix

About the scratch disk issue, it's not something to worry about unless you're using PS2017.1 and you get a Scratch Disk Full error
More info here
Possible bug in Photoshop CC2017.1

Info about the scratch disk and PS performance here
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Here's where you select the drive for the scratch disk
View attachment 73442

PS basically uses the scratch disk a a temporary storage location, closing PS frees up the space, so unless to get the above error there's nothing really to worry about. It's just another bug Adobe have introduced in the latest update.

Last edited:

Pipsmom

Guru
Thank you for explaining that Gedstar. I no longer use 2017 so that's one less thing to worry about I guess

gedstar

Guru
Well I found a free alternative to Adobe Bridge, you can view all image thumbnails including PSD's and drag and drop them image into Photoshop, so won't have to worry about Bridge eating all my C drive space
http://www.faststone.org/