What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Argos

Guru
In the last 3 days i just start looking and practicing the dodge&burn technique for the first time. 1 pratice for day, If any know well the technique i can use any tip or advice :cheesygrin:.

Any comments or critiques are welcome.

first day

Dodge&Burne2.jpg

Second day

timthumbf.jpg

third day

ff3.jpg

Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great work. I just think that all of the after photos are a bit overdone and don't look very natural. The middle one even looks like an HDR effect/filter. While I'm not sure what techniques your trying or what your expectations are for the final effect might be, but Dodge and Burn should be subtle and performed with the existing colors of the image. I never suggest using the native D&B tools in Ps.

Here is a video explanation of the only technique I would use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsyS2Gd9lY

Here's another from Aaron Nace: https://phlearn.com/photoshop-dodge-and-burn-dawg

Argos

Guru
Hi Sam, Sorry i forgot to put the example i was trying to dupplicate in the practice. Thats why it's unrealistic and overdone. Still alot to practice to get that... XD

mainpan1.jpg

Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Gotcha............makes more sense now.

Nice work Argos.
Though as Sam mentioned, it needs a lot of practice to get good results.
Always use a "large" image, taken under studio light conditions. And of course, never stop practicing!

Argos

Guru
Thanks Chris, yes you right with the first excample was a low resolution image and it shows, still praticing i think the most difficult task for me will be to master the transition between shadows and lights, especially the lights i tend to overdue it and looks like a mask of light XD.

Last example

Wahlster_Portrait5_grossg.jpg

Cheers!

Now this is a very well done example of the "Dodge and Burn" method.
Excellent result Argos!:thumbsup:

Argos

Guru
Thanks Chris, as i said i think the transition between light and shadow could be a little smother, but it's and improvement from the others XD.

Cheers!