What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Step by Step Tutorial

knowoneuno

First let me say that I have been stating a personal opinion about my views on reflections. However, this is by no means the rule. Art in any form is subjective. With this in mind, you need to be asking yourself if your happy with the results and do you feel that your getting any better?

If your happy with your results, then that's all that matters.

No, I am not happy with my results, that is why I am on this forum.

I want mine to look like that other photographer's work, but without the ripples, if that makes sense.

I sincerely appreciate your patience with me on this.

:)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I want mine to look like that other photographer's work, but without the ripples, if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense.

As I explained in post #7..........
IamSam said:
........and are probably created in at least two different reflection layers, one for the distortion and another for the more in focus reflection and then they are blended using layer masks.

It may even have 3 different reflection layers blended together:
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 7.49.08 PM copy.png

Here you can clearly see the 2 different reflection layers and the arrow shows where they are blended:
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 7.54.21 PM copy.png

Do you happen to know who the photographer is who took the sample images you posted.

knowoneuno

Yes, I know who the photographer is and where his website is.

I can send it to you in a PM if you'd prefer.

I just want to learn how to do what he does, I think his style is great.

SCTRWD

Power User
Take a look at this file.

For Fibers document try turning it to Grayscale or even Multichannel mode and save as PSD.

Attachments

• PlaneReflection.psd
    6.9 MB · Views: 9

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the link.

OK, I'm absolutely positive that there's much more to what Avalon does to their odd reflections but here is my quick down and dirty rendition. It's not perfect but it will give you a start in the right direction.

I took the plane image and added a layer mask.
I used the Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection of the lower half of the Plane image for masking.
Before:
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.04.21 AM.png

After masking:
Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.40.40 AM.png

NOTE: You have to turn layers on and off in order to work on them or other layers individually.

I then made a copy of the plane image (Command + J) and used the Path Blur (in CC) and stretched out the image:
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.04.53 AM.png

I wanted to brighten the elongated light streaks so I used a Curves adjustment:
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.05.06 AM.png

I used free transform to flip this image vertically. I'm using the term inverted to reference the plane being upside down, I'm not referring to Command + I or the invert function.

Using Command + J, I then made another copy of the original plane and flipped it vertically.
I moved it into position with the Move Tool. Click and drag or use the directional arrow keys.
This layer is then positioned just under the Normally positioned (upright) Plane layer. Drag and drop the layer in the layers panel.
I call this layer "Plane normal inverted"
Turn this layer off for the moment.
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.07.22 AM.png

I did the same with the Path Blurred plane:
This layer is just under the the inverted plane layer mentioned above. You may have to re-position the layers by clicking and dragging.
I call this layer "Plane with path blur inverted"When your done with this step, turn your "Plane normal inverted" layer back on.
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.07.37 AM.png

Select/highlight the "Plane normal inverted" layer.
On the "Plane normal inverted" layer, change it's blending mode to Soft light and reduced it's opacity to 16%
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.08.15 AM.png

To darken the lower half of the reflection I added a new layer on the very top of the layer panel (create new layer) and used the Gradient Tool to add a foreground to transparent gradient form bottom to the top.
I also lowered this layers opacity to suite.
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.09.48 AM.png

I used the Brush Tool and the "Plane normal" layer-layers mask to knock out he hard edge in the middle.
Select or click on the layer mask, then select the Brush Tool and use a soft brush. Set the brushes flow rate to 4% and then run from the left side to the right side of the hard line in the middle of the image. Hold down the shift key and the brush stroke will go in a straight line.
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.32.55 AM.png

Layers panel
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.09.57 AM.png

As I said, I think there is a lot more that should be done that probably involves more reflection layers, but this is a start.

Good luck.

knowoneuno

Here are three screen shots of what I've tried to do.

Most of the steps took me a while to understand but I finally figured most of it out.

What I still don't understand is how to move the "blurry inverted layer", into position exactly where I want it, under the "normal plane" photo.
I don't see a way to "merge" the layers without locking them together if that makes sense.

I can't thank you enough for all your patience with me and this project. I will eventually "get it".

Attachments

• Screen shot A.jpg
    Screen shot A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen shot B.jpg
    Screen shot B.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen shot C.jpg
    Screen shot C.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm very sorry but I have to run to work right now, I can help later on this evening! Sorry!

knowoneuno

Here is the screen shot where I ended up, along with the final results.

I know I am missing some steps. Still, I think it looks better than what I was doing previously.

Now to just tweak it and print me out some "step-by-step" instructions that I can understand.

Attachments

• screen shot D.jpg
    screen shot D.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • VU6A5167N_trial.jpg
    VU6A5167N_trial.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job. I think that the only thing you did that maybe you shouldn't have was to compress the reflection layers. If anything, you should have elongated them. The reflection of the plane should be the same size as the plane itself if not a little stretched towards the bottom.

knowoneuno

I appreciate your kind words, but I'll be honest with you. I don't have a clue as to how I got to where I am with it. I still need to write all your instructions down and ask more questions. I just want "step-by-step" instructions and I am still somewhat confused by all you did, especially the very first steps and I don't understand your comments about the compression of the reflection layers. Let me go write all this down in a Word document and post them, and then I want you to help me refine it better. Thank you so much! Your's still looks a LOT better than mine.

knowoneuno

Okay, I took some screen shots on the various layers you posted, so I can finally grasp all that you are telling me today, along with posting more questions about the entire process.

Just want to make sure I have all the steps down.

Thank you so much for being so generous with your knowledge and your patience with me and all my questions!

Here are all my questions to your steps, just need further explanation as I am somewhat still confused with some of the process.

I took the plane image and added a layer mask.
I used the Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection of the lower half of the Plane image for masking.

After you add the layer mask and used the rectangular marquis tool, you then made a selection of the lower half of the plane image for masking. When you do this, do you “mask” it and what is the reason for this and where does this selection go?

After masking: (I cut and pasted all your comments from the thread, minus the photos you posted)

NOTE: You have to turn layers on and off in order to work on them or other layers individually.

I then made a copy of the plane image (Command + J) and used the Path Blur (in CC) and stretched out the image:

When you make this layer copy, do you then use the Path Blur and stretch it out in the layer copy?

I wanted to brighten the elongated light streaks so I used a Curves adjustment:

By doing this, doesn’t it brighten the entire image and is that a “bad” thing?

I used free transform to flip this image vertically. I'm using the term inverted to reference the plane being upside down, I'm not referring to Command + I or the invert function.

I understand part of this step, but when you flip it with CTRL+T for free transform, how do you see what you’ve done in terms of seeing the inversed/upside down image?

Using Command + J, I then made another copy of the original plane and flipped it vertically.

Once again, are you using CTRL+T to flip it vertically? I assume this one has no blurring on it? And this would be placed (the layer) below the original plane image in the layers palette? I am thinking that you just answered this question in the steps right below?

I moved it into position with the Move Tool. Click and drag or use the directional arrow keys.
This layer is then positioned just under the Normally positioned (upright) Plane layer. Drag and drop the layer in the layers panel.
I call this layer "Plane normal inverted"
Turn this layer off for the moment.

I did the same with the Path Blurred plane:

Are you saying you moved it into position and all the other steps you just listed above? Just want to make sure I have this down, exactly.

This layer is just under the the inverted plane layer mentioned above. You may have to re-position the layers by clicking and dragging.

I understand this part of the process of steps.

I call this layer "Plane with path blur inverted" When you’re done with this step, turn your "Plane normal inverted" layer back on.

Understand this step

Select/highlight the "Plane normal inverted" layer.
On the "Plane normal inverted" layer, change it's blending mode to Soft light and reduced it's opacity to 16%

Understand

To darken the lower half of the reflection I added a new layer on the very top of the layer panel (create new layer) and used the Gradient Tool to add a foreground to transparent gradient form bottom to the top. I also lowered this layers opacity to suite.

Understand

I used the Brush Tool and the "Plane normal" layer-layers mask to knock out he hard edge in the middle.
Select or click on the layer mask, then select the Brush Tool and use a soft brush. Set the brushes flow rate to 4% and then run from the left side to the right side of the hard line in the middle of the image. Hold down the shift key and the brush stroke will go in a straight line.

Thanks for explaining this step in great detail.

Attachments

• Plane Normal Layer question.jpg
    Plane Normal Layer question.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Plane Normal Inverted Layer question.jpg
    Plane Normal Inverted Layer question.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Plane with path blur inverted layer question.jpg
    Plane with path blur inverted layer question.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Gradient layer question.jpg
    Gradient layer question.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
knowoneuno said:
After you add the layer mask and used the rectangular marquis tool, you then made a selection of the lower half of the plane image for masking. When you do this, do you “mask” it and what is the reason for this and where does this selection go?
The problem here is that you don't understand layer masks and how they work. Take a look at all of these layer mask tutorials, watch them until you understand them.

Photoshop:Understanding Layer Masks

Masks: Editable Selection

Layer Masks

How to use layer masks in Phtoshop

Blending photos together: Photoshop layer mask tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVSlxPxY9-M

knowoneuno said:
When you make this layer copy, do you then use the Path Blur and stretch it out in the layer copy?
Yes. I then made a copy of the plane image (Command + J) and used the Path Blur (in CC) and stretched out the image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD4ISxIlYmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7Vl34tW3k

knowoneuno said:
By doing this, doesn’t it brighten the entire image and is that a “bad” thing?
Forget this step, leave it out, it's not necessary.

knowoneuno said:
I understand part of this step, but when you flip it with CTRL+T for free transform, how do you see what you’ve done in terms of seeing the inversed/upside down image?
Watch this video and experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4jJnYLkUA

knowoneuno said:
Once again, are you using CTRL+T to flip it vertically?
Yes..........refer to video mentioned above.

knowoneuno said:
Are you saying you moved it into position and all the other steps you just listed above? Just want to make sure I have this down, exactly.
Follow the directions. If you dont understand the Move Tool watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTtRFjGFsns

Watch this video to understand the layers panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjVUmFZ_b_g

knowoneuno

Thank you so much for all the video tutorials on everything, I watched every one of them, but I think either the second or third link on masking would not play. Something about the content being owned by Lynda.com

So, with that being said, I do understand masks a whole lot better, and grasp the concept. I also now understand what you are wanting me to do when it comes to using the marquis tool and masking to remove the bottom
portion of the jet.

Here are my first two steps, I've got number one down, but the second step of your process has thrown me off. I've gone back and forth to see your layers palette and mine doesn't look right. When you make a copy of the jet and
then do the path blur, I've "lost" the entire image of the jet, I only see the portion of the jet that I have not masked off. Then when I do the path blur, my "masked" portion gets "blurred" but not the entire jet.

Here are the screen shots.

I apologize for being so clueless about this and I am trying to learn. I'm just one of those who needs, specific instructions, and then I will get it. I guess I need Steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.....versus an outline.

With that being said, I have saved all of these wonderful YouTube tutorials to go back and learn more and more from, can't thank you enough.

Attachments

• Step 1.jpg
    Step 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    965.4 KB · Views: 2

knowoneuno

Here is my latest try.

Still not completely happy and still feel I am not "grasping" all your steps, or missing something from what all you wrote, even after I watched all the "layers mask" videos.

Grrrrr.

Attachments

• VU6A5173r_20APR17_reflectw.jpg
    VU6A5173r_20APR17_reflectw.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1