What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Step by Step Tutorial

Ok, let's try a different approach. We will go through each step one at a time. I will create a step and you do exactly as I do.

The following is one complete step and not an outline. This is layer preparation.

STEP 1

Open your selected plane image in Photoshop.
Use Command/Control + J to make three duplicate plane layers.
Double click on the text of the very top copy and name it "Plane copy 1"
Double click on the text of the copy..... second layer from the top... and name it "Plane copy 2"
Double click on the text of the copy..... third layer from the top... and name it "Plane copy 3"
Turn off (deactivate) the original/background layer. You do this by clicking the eye.

Your canvas will look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.04.21 AM.png

Your layers panel will look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 11.16.21 PM.png

Waiting for your post where you re-create the above step............with screenshots, one of your canvas and one of your layers panel.

Thank you so much for doing all of this.

Here is my first screen shot and I followed all your steps.

Attachments

• First Step.jpg
    First Step.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
STEP 2

Turn off/deselect the “Plane copy 2” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.
Turn off/deselect the “Plane copy 3” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.

Select/highlight the “Plane copy 1” layer by clicking once on the body of the layer in the layers panel.
Go to LAYER > LAYER MASK > click REVEAL ALL. This will add a white layer mask to this layer.
Make sure the layer mask is selected. It will have white brackets around it when it’s selected.

Your layers panel should look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.22.19 AM.png

Hit the D key on your keyboard one time. This resets your foreground and background colors to the default of foreground white and background black.

Choose/select the Rectangular Marquis Tool from the toolbar.
In the Tools Menu bar (at the top) set to "new selection", set the feather to 10px, style to normal.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.25.57 AM.png

Create a selection of the lower portion of the “Plane copy 1” image where you would like your reflected image of the plane to appear. You can move your entire rectangle selection by holding down the space bar while you making your selection.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.27.51 AM.png

Once you have your selection where you like it, hit Command/Control + Delete. This will fill the selection (on the layer mask) with white.
Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.

Your canvas should now look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.39.09 AM.png

Your layers panel will now look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.30.16 AM.png

Waiting for your post where you re-create the above step............with screenshots of the FINAL outcome, one of your canvas and one of your layers panel.

Here are steps Two and Two A

Can't thank you enough for talking all this time and trouble to walk me through this, step-by-step.
I am so grateful for your help!

Attachments

• Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Step 2A.jpg
    Step 2A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
STEP 3

(Note: This step may not be necessary, but I will cover it and you can choose how it looks in the final image. You can alway turn this layer off or delete it altogether)

Turn off/deselect the “Plane copy 1” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.
Turn on/select the “Plane copy 2” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.

Select/highlight the “Plane copy 2” layer by clicking once on the body of the layer in the layers panel.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.39.11 AM.png

On your keyboard, hit Command/Control + T to enter free transform.
Right click within the bounding box and choose “flip vertical”
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.42.05 AM.png

Don’t do anything else! Hit enter or click on the checkmark to accept the state change.
Your image should be upside down now.

Leave the “Plane copy 2” layer selected/highlighted, but turn on/select “Plane copy 1” layer.

Your canvas will look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.51.46 AM.png

Select your Move Tool.
Use the DOWN directional arrow key on your keyboard to move the “Plane copy 2” layer down.
Position just below the “Plane copy 1” image.
(Note: You can hold down the shift key to speed up the movement)

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.55.42 AM.png

Set this layers blending mode to “soft light”
Reduce this layers opacity to 16%

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 11.59.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 12.00.01 PM.png

Waiting for your post where you re-create the above step............with screenshots of the FINAL outcome, one of your canvas and one of your layers panel.

Here are screen shots of steps 3 and steps 4, waiting on final instructions.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I can never thank you enough for being so kind and patient with me
and this learning process.

You are awesome!

Attachments

• Step 3.jpg
    Step 3.jpg
  • Step 4.jpg
    Step 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
No problem, my pleasure. Your doing great.

STEP 4

Turn off/deselect the “Plane copy 1” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.
Turn off/deselect the “Plane copy 2” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.
Turn on/select the “Plane copy 3” layer by clicking once n the eye icon of that layer.

Select/highlight the “Plane copy 3” layer by clicking once on the body of the layer in the layers panel.

Right click on the layer and choose “convert to smart object.
(Note: I’m not going to explain smart objects in detail. We will use one here because I want you to learn/know how to use a smart object. In this particular case so we can add a “smart filter”. By using a smart filter, we can adjust the Path Blur anytime we want. This is what’s called “non-destructive editing”)
When you do this, a small icon will appear in the lower right corner of the “Plane copy 3” layers thumbnail.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 1.35.46 PM.png

Go to FILTER > BLUR GALLERY > PATH BLUR
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.52.17 AM.png

Adjust the path by using the endpoints so that it’s straight up and down.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.59.12 AM.png

Set your Speed to 100%
Click on the bottom endpoint and set your endpoint speed to 160px
(Note: Your settings may be different for your image, you need to adjust these settings to YOUR liking!)
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.59.23 AM.png

This is how mine turned out.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 2.19.49 PM.png

This is how your layers panel should look, note that the “Plane copy 3” layer is STILL selected/highlighted.
You will have a new layer mask below the layer with "Smart Filter" to the right, there will be and eye icon below that which reads "Blur Gallery"
These are just notations that let you know what components youve added to the smart object layer. I will explain how we edit the smart filter later:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.00.34 PM.png

Just like step 3, we now need to flip this layer.
On your keyboard, hit Command/Control + T to enter free transform.
(Note: You will receive a warning window telling you that the Path blur will be disabled, click OK)
Right click within the bounding box and choose “flip vertical”
Don’t do anything else! Hit enter or click on the checkmark to accept the state change.
Your image should be upside down now and the Path Blur should return to the image.

Leave the “Plane copy 3” layer selected/highlighted, but turn on/select “Plane copy 1” layer.

Select your Move Tool.
Use the DOWN directional arrow key on your keyboard to move the “Plane copy 3” layer down.

Your canvas will now look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 1.53.21 PM.png

Your layers Panel will look like this:
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.04.20 PM.png

Here are my latest screen shots from following your steps.

I did have one comment/question on one step. You stated to

Select your Move Tool.
Use the DOWN directional arrow key on your keyboard to move the “Plane copy 2” layer down.

Shouldn't that really say, "Plane copy 3" layer down? The "Plane copy 2" layer is hidden and no eye-ball on it.

I moved "Plane copy 3" layer instead and followed all the rest of your instructions.

Attachments

• Step 5.jpg
    Step 5.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Step 6.jpg
    Step 6.jpg
  • Step 7.jpg
    Step 7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
I did have one comment/question on one step. You stated to

Select your Move Tool.

Shouldn't that really say, "Plane copy 3" layer down? The "Plane copy 2" layer is hidden and no eye-ball on it.

Yes, it was a copy and paste that I forgot to change. Good catch.

Before we move on, we seem to have a problem.

I noticed that your "Plane copy 2" layer appears blank.
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.49.52 AM copy.png

This was your STEP 3 layers panel and this is how your "Plane copy 2" layer should appear.
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.53.17 AM.png

Where happened to that layer?

I think I posted the wrong screen shot.....I'm somewhat confused by all these different screen shots.
BUT, I am following your steps.

I went back to Step 5 psd file, and turned on layer 2, and took a screen shot of what it now looks like.

I hope I am at the right place.

Attachments

• Step 5A.jpg
    Step 5A.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I think I posted the wrong screen shot.....I'm somewhat confused by all these different screen shots.
BUT, I am following your steps.

I went back to Step 5 psd file, and turned on layer 2, and took a screen shot of what it now looks like.

I hope I am at the right place.
Not sure I'm following, there is no step 5 yet.............the screenshot you just posted above, the "Plane copy 2" layer still seems to be blank/empty.

Without that layer, I really can't move to step 5 because we're going to use it.

I am so confused by the photos I am trying to save as .psd files, to go with each step and then to go and
save them as screen shots and then save them as .jpg files so I can post them on here.....

I went back to your steps where you tell me to CTRL + T and then "right click" on the layer to bring up the choices box, and I could not
do it......there was no choice of right clicking.....what the heck am I doing wrong?

Here are my most recent screen shots. I can't thank you enough but I'm to the point that I am so frustrated that I am about to give up........I will not give up, but I sure feel like it.

Can't believe I am so confused. I hope you can get me back on track............I did follow your steps the first time very well and I was able to right click and the dialog box was
opened, now I can't flip it, unless I go to "edit, free transform, and then flip vertically".

Attachments

• Step 4.jpg
    Step 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Step 5.jpg
    Step 5.jpg
  • Step 6.jpg
    Step 6.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Step 7.jpg
    Step 7.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 2
I am so confused by the photos I am trying to save as .psd files, to go with each step and then to go and
save them as screen shots and then save them as .jpg files so I can post them on here.....
Can't help you much there. If it were me, I would only be concentrating on the tutorial. It's not going away and you can come back later to save it in any manner you wish.

knowoneuno said:
I went back to your steps where you tell me to CTRL + T and then "right click" on the layer to bring up the choices box, and I could not
do it......there was no choice of right clicking.....what the heck am I doing wrong?
I'm not sure. I don't have enough information about what your trying to do. I can say at 100%, If you followed my instructions it will work.

knowoneuno said:
Here are my most recent screen shots. I can't thank you enough but I'm to the point that I am so frustrated that I am about to give up........I will not give up, but I sure feel like it.
I'm not certain why you're getting frustrated. If your having problems............start completely from the beginning with a new document! It should only take a few minutes to catch up.

knowoneuno said:
Can't believe I am so confused. I hope you can get me back on track............I did follow your steps the first time very well and I was able to right click and the dialog box was
opened, now I can't flip it, unless I go to "edit, free transform, and then flip vertically".
Again, I'm not certain why your having this problem, but if going to EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM > FLIP VERTICALLY works.............then go with it. Otherwise, discard the document that's not cooperating , and start from scratch with a new document.

So sorry for all the frustration. Not frustrated at you, frustrated at me for not "getting this".

Okay, so I went back to what I would call "Step Four Blur" and then when I clicked "CTRL +T", I got the dialog box that you previously
mentioned, but once again, for the life of me, I could not "right click" and get the "flip vertical" box to show up. I am on Layers Copy 3
and in the layers box, not the "smart filter" box, and still it wont' work....

So I tried the other way, edit, Free Transform, and then flipped it vertically and it worked.

I also turned on all the layers you asked me to turn on, and layer 2 now has a photo in it. Don't know how I got it (the photo) turned off
or deleted in my earlier attempt.

With all that being said, I think I am ready for the next step.

You are awesome!

Attachments

• Step 5 inverted blur move.jpg
    Step 5 inverted blur move.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
OK, moving on.

STEP 5

Turn on/select the “Plane copy 2” layer by clicking once on the eye icon of that layer.
(Note: You should now have “Plane copy 1”, “Plane copy 2”, and “Plane copy 3” turned on now.)

You will notice that it changes the reflection slightly. I actually raised the opacity back to 30% and I thought it looked better. But you can make any opacity adjustment that you like for this layer or just leave the layer turned off.

The last thing we need to do is to add the gradient. Since you worked with an aircraft image that was taken in the daylight, you may not need this step. Add it anyway to see if you like the result. If you don't, you can always turn off the layer or simply delete it.

Select/highlight the “Plane copy 1” layer by clicking once on the body of the layer in the layers panel.
Add a new layer by clicking the “Create a new layer” icon located at the bottom right of the layers panel next to the trashcan icon.
Double click on the text of the very new layer and name it “Gradient”

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.24.04 PM.png

Make sure you foreground color is set to black.
(Quick tip: Hit the D key on your keyboard one time. This resets your foreground and background colors to the default of foreground white and background black. Now hit the X key and this will toggle/rotate the colors)

Choose/select your Gradient Tool.
At the top in the Tools Menu Bar, click once on the gradient editor.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.25.30 PM copy.png

In the Gradient Editor, chose the second preset from the top left in the “presets window”.
It should read, “Foreground to transparent” in the NAME window.
Hit OK
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.28.12 PM.png

In your Gradient Tools-tools menu bar at the top, set the Gradient Tool to linear gradient, Mode: normal, Opacity: 100%
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.43.05 PM.png

Make sure your “Gradient “ layer is selected/highlighted.
Start at the bottom center of the canvas image and pull a gradient straight up to about the center of the overall image.
Hold down the shift key to keep the gradient straight.

The gradient will be dark so we need to lower the “Gradient” LAYERS opacity in the layers panel......not in the Tools Menu Bar.
I lowered mine to about 53% You adjust yours how you like it.

Final image!
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.47.42 PM.png

Editing the Smart Filter.
(Note: We are not editing the Smart Object…………that’s a different procedure!)

Select/highlight the “Plane copy 3” layer by clicking once on the body of the layer in the layers panel.

Double-Click on the “BLUR GALLERY” text at the bottom of the layer.
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 12.55.34 PM copy.png

Doing this will re-open the Blur gallery and specifically the Path Blur. You can make any changes to the Path Blur you wish, when your done hit OK.

Okay, I think I have everything done.

You said you went back and adjusted the opacity on one of the layers to 30% (I think that was the amount). Which layer did you
go back on and adjust that opacity?

Finally, in the previous set of steps, you also drew a line across from left to right with the paint brush tool. I could still add that step, to this
"final image" shot, couldn't I?

Thank you so much, you have had so much patience with me and giving me lots of guidance. I really appreciate it. I'll go give it a whirl with
a brand new image and follow all your steps to see if I'm doing it correctly.

Attachments

• Step six with gradient.jpg
    Step six with gradient.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Editing the Smart Filter.
(Note: We are not editing the Smart Object…………that’s a different procedure!)

Double-Click on the “BLUR GALLERY” text at the bottom of the layer.
View attachment 73991

Doing this will re-open the Blur gallery and specifically the Path Blur. You can make any changes to the Path Blur you wish, when your done hit OK.

Why would I adjust this? Would this be if I didn't know like the blur I choose to begin with?

Thanks!

Okay, I think I have everything done.
No, your image shows you have not added the Gradient layer.

knowoneuno said:
You said you went back and adjusted the opacity on one of the layers to 30% (I think that was the amount). Which layer did you
go back on and adjust that opacity?
Here's a better way to answer this question.............which layer did we make an opacity adjustment to before the "Gradient" layer? There was only one.

knowoneuno said:
Finally, in the previous set of steps, you also drew a line across from left to right with the paint brush tool. I could still add that step, to this
"final image" shot, couldn't I?
YES! You would do that on the "Plane copy 1" layer-layers mask.

knowoneuno said:
Thank you so much, you have had so much patience with me and giving me lots of guidance. I really appreciate it. I'll go give it a whirl with
a brand new image and follow all your steps to see if I'm doing it correctly.
Your very welcome! Hopefully this works out for you. Just remember, each image will require different settings. Enjoy!

Back