What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, back in the early days of my photography when storage space was limited and I used Photobucket as a host site I saved all my images to 800 pixels on the longest length and saved everything to 250kb or less. Foolish I know, but is there a photoshop plug in or application that will allow me to now make these old images larger without losing any image quality?

I now shoot in RAW and save as TIFFS (I could cry when I look at some of the old military aviation stuff i crushed....

Please Help!!

MrToM

Guru
...is there a photoshop plug in or application that will allow me to now make these old images larger without losing any image quality?...
No.

You cannot replace what has been deleted exactly, only approximately.

Any image can be made any size but to keep the original 'quality' this needs to be done from the original RAW data....not a saved output image.

Photoshop does [now] do a pretty good job when it comes to enlarging images, but of course that depends on how much its enlarged by....the results can differ dramatically. The image contents will also have an effect.

It's not recommended to enlarge any image but if its your only choice then try it in Photoshop and see what happens....you may be pleasantly surprised....maybe.

Regards.
MrToM.

Jerry D

Power User
Another app for resizing is "on1 Resize", which uses the Genuine Fractals technology.
A 30 day fully functional trial is here....https://www.on1.com/downloads/

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Mark

Could you provided an example image and be specific about how much larger you need the image (for screen viewing or prints). JPEG also has lossy compression and can introduce compression artifacts that are harder to deal with if compressed too much.

These specifics may aid in more targeted feedback about your options.

Just a suggestion

John Wheeler

fogo00

Power User
You could try to make it larger and apply some filters. there are lots of tutorials of that on youtube (sharpening, diffuse, ect.)