What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reinstalling Photoshop

Rekusu

What ho one and all,

Being a bit of a Luddite, I am happy with CS3 on my XP machine. Recently, Bridge has been going AWOL too often, so I want to reinstall PhotoShop, along with Bridge and whatever version of ACR I have.

But I want to keep various bits and pieces, actions, workspace, various settings in ACR etc. So these need to be backed up, but where are they? Program Files or D&S or both?

Under Filters, I have quite a few different things, inc. NIK utilities. Would I need to reinstall NIK even though it is already in Program Files? Would reinstalling CS3 see this folder? What about the Filter links that are in D&S? In ACR, I have some presets; where are they to be found to backup?

Seems to me that Adobe really made life difficult but what do I know?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex

Rekusu

Thanks; have the original disk wit the number and I'm only interested in PhotoShop.

The *.psp is useful as all my actions would have to be individually saved. Another 'filter' I use regularly is Curvemeister. Again, the program resides in Program files but I don't imagine that a reinstalled PS will see it. And that applies to a number of other 'plug-ins.'

I have reset Bridge, but that is not curing the annoying issue.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I know for a fact that when updating from CC2015.5 to CC2017 a map with plug-ins and presets was (and still is) present on my C drive.
All I had to do was copying those to the corresponding map in CC2017 and all worked.

Untitled-1.jpg

I would do the uninstall and check if a similar map is present on your C drive.

Rekusu

Don't think CS3 does anything like that, but since I have never had to reinstall, .....?

I believe I can up-grade and have two versions installed, but I doubt that I would be allowed two installations of the same program.

Rekusu

I didn't know that.

Surely, if one has a disk and registration number, the installation is non-web based. So how would they know if I upgrade from CS3?

Rekusu

Gentleman,

Thank you for your assistance; I think I have found the simple answer to my problem, namely, delete the Bridge cache file.

Since doing that, and the file is recreated, Bridge has been SOOOOO much more stable. Must remember that for next time!

Toodle pip

Rex