What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea how to accomplish this

Jaydog1976

So I have a customer that asked me to do a photo shoot of their senior this week. She had a specific request that her son's senior picture looks similar to her father' senior picture. I have two pictures here on of a current subject and the picture of her dad that was taken in 1969. I was wanting to see if I could get some ideas and feedback as to how to accomplish this task. I have tried many different things but just can't seem to get that same look or something similar. The subject always still looks like he is a digital photo. I know the 1969 photo was hand tinted. I also know that I won't be able to get exactly but I want to be as close as possible. Thanks again for everyone's help.

senior.jpgjj (1 of 1)_pp forum.jpg

Jaydog1976

Thanks for the response. Definitely this is going in the right direction. Now what about color should I just mask color in or should I use a layer with a blend mode of color?

MrToM

Guru
Colour matched and 1px field blur...

school_MT_01.png

The 'Match colour' adjustment has some settings so you will be able to get a more precise result than my quick example.

You'll find the 'Match colour' adjustment under IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > MATCH COLOUR...have the NEW photo opened when you use it and select the OLD photo from the dropdown, then adjust to taste.

Should give you a starting point if nothing else.

Regards.
MrToM.

Jaydog1976

Thanks all so much for the responses. I am going to work on the picture again this evening and will work on applying the techniques.

Argos

Guru
Hard one... my attempt.

jj (1 of 1)_pp forumf.jpg

Cheers!

Sorry for the bad selections i was focus on the other things.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Argos

The OP was looking for instructional help on how to create the effect and not looking for someone to do it for them!

Jaydog1976

Thanks gedstar. My goal was to get ideas. I liked your idea and had never thought of using nik to help with some of my output. I was looking online at the nik collection and there seems to be some filters that might actually help me accomplish what I need to do. There were a couple of others that I was going to try that I hadn't thought of before as well.

This is not an easy project and definitely has a learning curve to it. Thanks again. I am so looking forward to getting home after work and applying some of the techniques here.

Argos

Guru
Oh sorry, i tried several things... in the nick collection i thought in glamor glow at first for that look but dind't like it, i used strong noise instead.

btw:i converted the image in to a drawn first and lowered the opacity.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Nice, but you could desaturate the g clef more by using the sponge tool set to desaturate.

Jaydog1976

Eggy I see what you are saying. I am not sure how I missed that. I must have got into a tunnel vision mode. Do you think I should go over the whole image with the sponge set on desaturate or only the g clef?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
It happens to me too when I'm 'overfocused'...:biglaff:

I would only desaturate the g clef but I would also try to soften the hard black of the shirt by using image/adjustment/shadows-highlights

Select only the shirt!

Something like this and dodge the dark parts

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

Jaydog1976

So after some research, looking at the suggestions, and a little time and effort I finally came up with something super close. I don't think we will ever be able to duplicate things exactly but I can come close. I want to thank everyone for all their help. It definitely got the wheels turning. I just need a background that will be a bit lighter. Nothing I can't find at Walmart or something in the fabric department .

Untitled-1.jpgsenior.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Jaydog,

I think what's missing is a bit of contrast, a soft blur, a stronger edge blur, and some noise.

I quickly added two curves adjustment layers one dark and one light for a dodge & burn.
I then added a soft Gaussian blur, and then used the blur tool set a 25% around the subjects edges.
Then some noise.

This is a fast example so it's not perfect.
OldPhotoEffect_01.jpg

Jaydog1976

Thanks Iamsam. I felt it was still missimg something. I'll take a look at it again. I also know that changing the background should help as well. I did add some noise but I think I was afraid of over doing it. This is one of those projects where you don't want to go over the too. But I didn't think of blurring the edges.