What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Art/Photoshop Forums?

SepiaPhotographi

I was wondering.... I know this is not my imagination... Why is it so hard to find active Photoshop groups? I've gone on flickr, facebook, yahoo groups, etc. I've found so many groups that have been abandoned for years. Even Deviant art, to some extent doesn't really have an active Photoshop group But what I do see a lot of are groups that share fonts and brushes. Why is this? Is the mindset of creative people now focused on YouTube?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering.... I know this is not my imagination... Why is it so hard to find active Photoshop groups? I've gone on flickr, facebook, yahoo groups, etc. I've found so many groups that have been abandoned for years. Even Deviant art, to some extent doesn't really have an active Photoshop group
I guess one would need to define the purpose of a group. I remember groups and they were mostly places where it's members would do nothing more than post their work. They became nothing more than extended portfolios for some members and a place to show off for others. You could never really get any help from a group. In fact, that's what brought me to this very forum, I was fed up with the monster egos found in groups who never offered help.

SepiaPhotographi said:
But what I do see a lot of are groups that share fonts and brushes.
That would be great if your looking for brushes. Brushes are so easy to make. Sharing fonts is a grey area.

SepiaPhotographi said:
Why is this? Is the mindset of creative people now focused on YouTube?
I would venture to say yes. The problem is that YouTube is inundated with tons of Ps videos made by amateurs who don't know what they're doing. There are many other tutorials created by qualified and knowledgeable members but you have to look for them.

YouTube killed groups because it became a better place to seek out information on how to use Photoshop.

This forum is the ultimate place to learn about Photoshop so there's no need for groups.

SepiaPhotographi

IamSam: I guess one would need to define the purpose of a group. I remember groups and they were mostly places where it's members would do nothing more than post their work. They became nothing more than extended portfolios for some members and a place to show off for others. You could never really get any help from a group. In fact, that's what brought me to this very forum, I was fed up with the monster egos found in groups who never offered help.

Yeah! That's another issue too. I stop participating in all my photography forums because of those same attitudes you speak of. There are far too many incredibly cruel people who call themselves "photographers/artists," that swear their word is of "god." Some time you just want to learn and have fun. But there are surprisingly a lot of miserable people that circulate art/photography boards. I doubt any creativity can come from people who are so anal-retentive.

IamSam: That would be great if your looking for brushes. Brushes are so easy to make. Sharing fonts is a grey area.

Yeah, I try to be careful with that too. But let's face it, anytime you're on a site, where the content is "user submitted," there's always a risk that some a-hole carelessly uploaded a copyrighted font. Or they just don't care.

IamSam: I would venture to say yes. The problem is that YouTube is inundated with tons of Ps videos made by amateurs who don't know what they're doing. There are many other tutorials created by qualified and knowledgeable members but you have to look for them.

Not only are they amateurs, a significant amount of these videos are made from people who don't have a strong command of the English language. I windup clicking the x within 3 minutes of listening..

IamSam: YouTube killed groups because it became a better place to seek out information on how to use Photoshop.

I still think there are things that does NOT take the place of a traditional class room, especially when you're trying to learn something as complicated as Photoshop, or the entire Adobe suite for that matter.

IamSam: This forum is the ultimate place to learn about Photoshop so there's no need for groups.

Yes, this looks like a very nice site, and everyone seems to be extremely supportive of each other, which is what I'm looking for. I want to explore every bit of Adobe CC. My teacher was Adobe certified, and even he admitted that it's virtually impossible to know everything. I find this exciting coming from him; it means the possibilities are endless, and a journey that will never be boring.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SepiaPhotographi said:
I still think there are things that does NOT take the place of a traditional class room, especially when you're trying to learn something as complicated as Photoshop, or the entire Adobe suite for that matter.
I agree to a point. A classroom setting can be great for some and a huge hindrance for others. Classrooms can only work at the slowest students pace. With determination and discipline, a person can use the internet//YouTube/forums to learn at a much faster rate, without distractions and of course the cost. The major drawback in educating yourself is that you lack the credentials formal training provides which can bite you in the backside later on.

SepiaPhotographi

I agree to a point. A classroom setting can be great for some and a huge hindrance for others. Classrooms can only work at the slowest students pace. With determination and discipline, a person can use the internet//YouTube/forums to learn at a much faster rate, without distractions and of course the cost. The major drawback in educating yourself is that you lack the credentials formal training provides which can bite you in the backside later on.

Thing is though, when you're in a classroom with professionals with various experiences, you hear questions you never thought of, and learn things that never occurred to you. You get to learn "real-world-lessons," that happens in the work place/freelance. There are many things that because of YouTube, people don't think it's necessary to learn. One example is typography, which is another world on to itself, but it is necessary to have some basic understanding in order to not only convey your message, but to make sure it's readable, and perceived correctly. Yeah, school is important. YouTube should be used in addition to, not to replace. Just my humble opinion..

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's absolutely no doubting the benefits of a classroom. And I agree that the internet should not, nor do I think that it could entirely, replace a formal education. However, I will end this on the note that I admire your outlook, views, and opinions on your experiences with classrooms. Your true education begins in the real world and it's not always congruent with what was taught to you in a classroom. The other thing we've not touched on is the differences between learning and applying that knowledge. The truest test is in the end product.