What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi All I'm New and Please Help Me!

JJPhoto

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum - I have run my own high street photography studio for about 7 years now and have been a photographer for about 15 years.
So I have a working knowledge of PS but I expect to be nowhere near the level of a lot of people on here.

I have a problem that I have been pulling my hair out for weeks now and I hope someone can help to point me in the right direction.
I've started to do fine art portraiture but can't get the look that I'm after.
There is a brilliant photographer in the UK here called Lisa Visser who, among others, has a lovely soft and slightly desaturated look to her images.
Whilst I can wrestle with the photography end I don't know where to start with the PS look I'm after.
Here's a link to some examples and many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Kind regards
JJ

IMG_Lisa Visser.jpeg

fredfish

Guru
Have you thought about contacting Lisa directly and asking her what combination of in camera and PS techniques she uses?

gedstar

Guru
Take a look here at Sam's last reply to this thread as I think it applies to your question

Filter

These are professional headshots taken in a studio. There's simply no way of knowing the conditions, lighting, camera settings, lenses, etc., much less trying to guess at what the original artist did in post. It's simply a guessing game. There's far too many variables and potential possibilities. It's difficult to just look at an image and tell what was done, especially without the original photos before they were altered.

Last edited:

JJPhoto

I am a professional photographer and I understand the shot and the feathering of the softbox etc which has been done really skillfully. But there has been some really nice softening and desaturation done in post.
I can look at an image and, to a fair degree of accuracy, reverse engineer how it was taken, aperture, focal length and what light modifyers have been used. So I just thought there would be someone with a better understanding of PS who could do the same.
But thanks for your input anyway

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am a professional photographer and I understand the shot and the feathering of the softbox etc which has been done really skillfully.......I can look at an image and, to a fair degree of accuracy, reverse engineer how it was taken, aperture, focal length and what light modifyers have been used.
If so, then can you please post one of your images in which you have emulated Lisa Vessners photography style so that we can experiment with the possible Photoshop adjustments?

Argos

Guru
As the other people are saying alot of variables to recreate exactly what she did.

10m example of softening desaturate image combining photoshop with a trial software i want to test.

woman-portrait-photoshop3.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited: