What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automating making a 2 x 5 array of Business Cards

robdebank

[FONT=&quot]I am attempting to make a small run of business cards. When the design is finalised, I’ll shall get them printed commercially, but until then I’m making my own. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The image with text is produced ( layered so that each element can be modified ) Then it is manually placed 10 times, on a 2 x 5 grid and printed on A4 paper.

Changing the design ( text and or image ) is easy, but it can then get quite time consuming[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot], having to copy / paste the revised design into the 10 individual placeholders, using guides.[/FONT]. I’ve been told that making changes to just one of the revised designs can then be automatically copied to the other 9, without having to start from scratch ie: Someone mentioned using smart objects. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. [/FONT]

Runners with guides.jpg

MrToM

Guru
I'd suggest using smart objects too, this is exactly the situation where they are most useful.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Here is how I would do it...

Select all the layers that construct the final image.
Right click one of them and choose 'Convert to smart object'.
Duplicate the newly created 'Smart Object', in this case, 9 times.
Arrange the smart objects as your post #1.

To edit, double click ANY of the smart object layers....this will open a PSB file with all the original layers in it.
Edit what you want.
SAVE the PSB file.
Revert back to your PSD file and the changes will take effect....in ALL the smart object layers.

Think of a smart object like a zip file, one file, (layer), contains many files, (layers), but when opened, (double click), are accessible for editing. Think of saving the PSB file as zipping a bunch of files, (layers) into one.

Regards.
MrToM.

robdebank

Thanks again Tom,

I shall try that and let you know. If it works, I owe you a very large beer !
icon6.png

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

If you need more detail just ask, I don't know your level of experience with PS and this isn't posted in a 'newbie' section so I assumed you know your way around PS and kept it more 'direct'.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Addendum...

When you 'duplicate' the smart object layer, (9 times), do NOT use 'New smart object via copy' which can be found either by right clicking a smart object layer or from using layer > smart object menu.

This method will create an 'unlinked' copy of the original, meaning it can be edited independently of any others.

Use 'CTRL+J' or 'ALT + Drag' to make your duplicates.
This will create an 'instance' of the original meaning it is linked and will change with any edits of any other instances of that smart object.

I mention this as its tempting to use 'New smart object via copy' when you see it in the context menu...but in this case, don't.

Regards.
MrToM.