What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resolution defaults in Adobe Camera Raw

Tony Bowman

I'm using PS CS5. When I open image files via ACR, PS defaults the resolution to 240DPI. Is there a way to change this to default to 300DPI?

I know about resolution and size but this has recently caused an issue with a client's picture. I sent my client a finished PSD at 240DPI, and, not understanding how image sizing works, the client resampled it to 300DPI with unfavourable results.

If I can make ACR default to 300 DPI, then I wouldn't have to remember to do it all the time and clients wouldn't need to mess around with it... I can't find an appropriate setting anywhere, and searches for the same question only lead to discussions of size -v- resolution.

colleague

Guru
in ACR there is a tekst-line under your image
that says "Adobe RGB (1998) , 8 bits ; ... x ... px , (... MP) , 240 dpi"

if you click on it , you can change it into 300 dpi
and it should stay 300 dpi for other images

Attachments

• Adobe-Camera-RAW_1.jpg
    Adobe-Camera-RAW_1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1

Tony Bowman

Thanks Colleague. I tried that, and it was OK for a while but then went back to 240 - and I didn't notice. I will have to make sure I keep an eye on it.

MrToM

Guru
You can change the PPI at any time, either in ACR or PS, it doesn't matter.

If you really feel the need to do it in ACR then do as colleague said, remember to click 'Done' to save the info.

In PS use IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE to change the PPI.

The 'resolution' of a digital image is just meta data saved in the header of a digital image, it has no effect on the image whatsoever so can be set to virtually anything you wish, whenever you wish, by whatever method you wish.....it makes no odds.

Obviously each image has its own meta data so this is why you seem to think it worked, then failed.....not so, you are just reading the meta data of a different image file which you haven't yet changed.

You cannot set a PPI as a default, it comes with the image, you can manually change it sure, but not automatically.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tony Bowman

Thanks for the reply. I'm not convinced about the metadata point as my camera is set to shoot at 300ppi, but my raw files still open at 240 in ACR (in fact everything opens at 240). I've set it back to 300 again and I'll watch to see when it changes back and generally keep an eye on things.