What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rendering Chrome? Photoshop 3d

andrewgray123

Hi guys, was just wondering if you had any insight on how to create a 3d object, then apply a chrome surface, as the surfaces i'm using doesn't actually show a name, so its hard to tell what is grey, what is chrome, what is brushed silver etc...
Is there a way to identify these materials/surfaces? Or is it a case of using a grey surface, adding a lot of reflections and a lot of shine to it?

Many Thanks.

Andy

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I started using PS 3D since CC 2014.
There were a lot of materials to choose from.
I didn't used PS 3D for some time now (I'm using Blender) and a lot changed in the latest updates, fewer materials ect.
You still can see the name of the material when holding your cursor (hand) on one of the materials.
Chrome isn't one of them anymore.
But you can still pick a metal, change the color and increase the shine up to 100 % and reflection to 50%.
Another option is to choose gold and change the diffuse from yellow to white

Untitled-1.jpg

To be honest, Photoshop 3D isn't worth the name 3D!

Last edited:

andrewgray123

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, I've got Maya installed, but working full time and a lot of stuff to do at home, i've not got a lot of time to learn how to use Maya, Photoshop seems pretty easy for what i need it for at work, I can draw an outline, do an extrusion stretch it out, texture it and render it, which works pretty well and transitions nice. where Maya is a much better platform, but requires a level of expertise, which unfortunately, I do not have.

Untitled-1.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I understand.
I'm retired and have all the time in the world (not)...
But instead of improving PS 3D Adobe provides us a lot less options...

hawkeye

Guru
Chrome in Photoshop 3D is best done with image based lighting.

Attachments

• MaxthonSnap20170619083344.png
    MaxthonSnap20170619083344.png
    415 KB · Views: 3

Eggy

Retired Moderator
And in CC 2017.1.1.

I missed that, don't use PS 3D often...

Thanks MrToM!

Last edited: