What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to select and change color.. URGENT

Hi Guys..

So normally I'm good enough at selection the pixels I want in a photo, and/or change the color of it.
But right now I'm sitting with some sweatshirt styles, and they make me crazy, because I cannot seem to figure it out.

I have attached det style I need to edit, so you can follow what I talk about.

So right now the sweatshirt is ground color light grey and it has this injection yarn in it, which is dark grey / black.
What I need to do is to make the ground color dark blue and the injection yarn in it then has to be white.

I have tried color range, magic wand, replace color and you name it.
What is also really not working for me is that when I try at selection the injection yarn, it also selection the shadows at the shoulders and the arms.

Really hope someone can help, it's a bit urgent.

Thanks.

50-125_Hugo.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Not easy at all but its worth a shot;

- select only the part in need for color change (using a layer mask will allow you to recover the original parts)
- press CTRL+I to invert the colors (light will be dark and dark light)
- use an adjustment layer hue/saturation and/or color balance to change the color

The major problem with this method is that the shadows will turn from dark to bright!

Did a quick one

50-125_Hugo recolored.jpg

Case

Closest non-mask way I could get it - Duplicate layer and set its mode to Multiply. Add a new layer above and fill in a solid navy colour. Set the Layer blending mode to 'Soft light'. Clean up hoodie laces with the eraser on the solid layer. Duplicate solid layer.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Closest non-mask way I could get it - Duplicate layer and set its mode to Multiply. Add a new layer above and fill in a solid navy colour. Set the Layer blending mode to 'Soft light'. Clean up hoodie laces with the eraser on the solid layer. Duplicate solid layer.
Can you post your results?

Case

50-125_Hugo.png

For the duplicated solid layer I dropped opacity to 60% and made it a darker navy, but otherwise the same.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Case Thanks for posting!

This is way harder than you might suspect. I'm under the impression that the OP wanted was to make the ground color dark blue and the injection yarn in it white.

Elizabeth Jensen said:
What I need to do is to make the ground color dark blue and the injection yarn in it then has to be white.

Based on the OP's description this is how the fabric appears before in their example image...........
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 3.14.30 PM.png
Notice that the main color or ground color is gray and the injection yarn is dark gray or black.

The OP wants the main color or ground color to be dark blue and the injection yarn to be white.

You can't achieve this result using your proposed technique. As I said, it's much harder than it appears.
You example shows the main color or ground color as light blue and the injection yarn is darker blue.............not white.
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 3.14.50 PM.png

Unscripted

My bad, didnt even check :D i went about it a different way but it gave the same result.