What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me make my DIY project look good - combining 2 images

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could add a fire reflection.

You do this by simply duplicating your fire layer (Cmd/Cntrl + J) and using distort in free transform to position.........just like we did the shadow.
Some of the flames may extend beyond the edge of the table, just add a layer mask and use the Brush Tool set to black to clean it up.
Lower the fire reflections opacity to suite your taste.
You could also add gradient to the fire reflections layer mask just as you might do with any reflection so it fades into the foreground.

This is slightly more exaggerated for demonstration.
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.16.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.21.46 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Andrew, There's still a window reflection on the upper right side of your table. The sky's color reflection looks a little green.
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.33.31 AM.png

Make a selection of the table top.
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.37.54 AM.png

Use the brush tool with the flow set to about 1-2%.
Choose the white color of the corner and gently blend out the window reflection.
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.42.44 AM.png

Then you can brush in the reflection tint sample from the sky color itself.
Or you can use any other tinting method.
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.44.47 AM.png

andydbnz

Thanks IamSam. Very useful tips.

I've given this a go and attached my efforts below. Never played with 'flow' settings like this before. I went over the top to start with but then reduced the opacity of the layer to dial it back. It still looks a bit blown out in the corner compared with your example.

BTW, where the image is now is far ahead of where I ever expected it to be thanks to everyone's help. I'm just enjoying the learning which is why I'm continuing to ask for suggestions and tweaks.

I'll give the fire reflection effect a go next.

Combined13.jpg

Last edited:

andydbnz

I've now had an opportunity to add the flame reflection. In addition, I've increased the contrast and brightness in the centre of the image to get my fire table to stand out. Looking at the original image that I copied my DIY fire table into their table is bright and well lit.

Comments or suggestions are welcome. Am I done?

Combined14.jpg