What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this text effect?

Na11

I've tried playing with the text styles but I can seem to get it right. Ideas?

nR9QpY2.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Can you be a little more specific about what part of the text effect your trying to recreate?

I really don't see any text effect, the text looks like normal lowercase Ballpark text. I do see some graphic elements behind, around, and on top of the text.

Na11

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Can you be a little more specific about what part of the text effect your trying to recreate?

I really don't see any text effect, the text looks like normal lowercase Ballpark text. I do see some graphic elements behind, around, and on top of the text.

I know what the font is.The text effect I'm trying to create is on the text itself. It looks like it has a pushed in glass effect, it seems it also has a drop shadow and inner shadow, but i'm not sure how I can get the pushed in glass effect.

carlbush

Power User
Na11, if this is the effect you want: 1. space text a bit 2. Use the "Bevel & Emboss" tool (inner bevel) in the FX dropdown at the bottom of the "Layers" panel (I'm using CS6). 3. Adjust the depth, opacity, and light direction to get the effect you desire of the darker inset (you referred to it as "pushed in glass"). 4. Use the "Drop Shadow" tool, also in the FX dropdown, adjust the color to white and play with opacity, depth, distance, etc to get the look you want. 5. Add a mask over the text and then use a soft brush to darken the bottom half of the letters a bit. 6. Use the same mask on a new layer and contract the mask by a couple of pixels to pull it from the edge of the text. 7. Use a soft white brush to highlight the upper edge of the mask. 8. Use a harder edged eraser to adjust the shape of the lower edges of the area you just highlighted. 9. Give the highlighted layer a slight gaussian blur (1-2 pixels) to soften the overall effect.

View attachment 76923

Attachments

• sailor4.jpg
    sailor4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It looks like it has a pushed in glass effect, it seems it also has a drop shadow and inner shadow, but i'm not sure how I can get the pushed in glass effect.
As I said the text itself has no effects applied directly to it with a layer style. It only has a painted white layer above it.
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.05.47 AM.png

Text
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.17.00 AM.png

Create a new layer and highlight.
Make a selection of the text layer by Cmd/Cntrl clicking the text layers thumbnail.
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.17.20 AM.png

Use your Brush Tool set to white.
Use a large soft brush and lower your floe setting.
Brush from left to right while holding the shift key.
Make one pass wide and then make your brush smaller for the second pass.
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.20.32 AM.png

Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.

Use the move tool to move the white layer down and to the right.
Lower the white layers opacity.
You can add a Gaussian Blur if desired.
(changed the BG color to match your example)
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.38.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.24.09 AM.png

Na11

Ahh thanks again. You must be pretty advanced because so far, you have helped me with everything.