What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a SSD 240GB enough for use as SCRATCH DISK?

ZeroCool22

Banned
This is my current BUILD (just got it two months ago):

• MSI Z270 GAMING M 3
  • I7 77OOK
  • ZALMAN CNPS 10X OPTIMA
  • CORSAIR 32 GB (4X8) 2400MHZ DUAL CHANNEL
  • MSI GTX 1080TI 11GB GAMING X
  • SENTEY MBP750-HS 750W 80PLUS
  • SENTEY TRIAC GS-6009 4 FANS
  • SSD 240GB KINGSTON V300
  • SSD 240GB KINGSTON UV40
  • WD BLUE 1TB
I was thinking on get a third SSD of 240gb UV400 just for PS to use as SCRATCH DISK, i know some ppl said PS start using the scratch disk when there is no enough RAM, but it's not true, PS still use and modify the size of the "Photoshop Temp201506266788" (this file is created on the SCRATCH DISK) from time to time, i really don't know exactly when PS write on the SCRATCH DISK and increase the size of this TMP file, if with a simple paint or adding layer, etc, it increase the file size or only when you do BIG changes on the project you working on.

So what do you think guys, i will a BIG improvement using a SSD as SCRATCH DISK, it's worth it, 240gb is enough...?

I have a 256 GB SSD with only my OS and my programs.
I do not store any files on that drive. As storage I use my datadrive (WD back 2TB)

I have a second 120 GB SSD (my previous C disk) wich I use as workdrive.
I assigned that drive (D) also as my scratch drive AND my virtual memory (and I have 32 GB ram too) and I still only use less then half the space on the drive so no need to buy a thirth SSD.

I would go for an external 2 TB drive partitionned for your system back-up and data back-up...

I have a 256 GB SSD with only my OS and my programs.
I do not store any files on that drive. As storage I use my datadrive (WD back 2TB)

I have a second 120 GB SSD (my previous C disk) wich I use as workdrive.
I assigned that drive (D) also as my scratch drive AND my virtual memory (and I have 32 GB ram too) and I still only use less then half the space on the drive so no need to buy a thirth SSD.

I would go for an external 2 TB drive partitionned for your system back-up and data back-up...

I have configured this way:

TEMP/TMP on the WD BLUE HDD files

IOaeoez.png

Page File (Disabled for the SSD's)

j1cCT2d.png

And the services WINDOWS SEARCH & SUPERFETCH disabled.

The only remaining doubt is, if if i should turn OFF the INDEXATION for the SSD's (i don't use the search on WINDOWS, i know where i have everything) and i read the INDEXATION is just for that, how do you have it?

F3KYbW8.png

The objetive is reduce the write/rewrite on the SSD's that could shot their life cycle.

PD: I have my Primary SSD (C) just for WINDOWS (maybe for some games too) and Programs, the 2nd SSD (E) exclusive for games and the HDD for STORAGE (images, videos, etc..) mostly.

I was thinking about the WD BLACK, but i read i will not notice a BIG improve of access times from the BLUE one (7200 rpm), apart from the 1TB extra.

Last edited:
PD: I have my Primary SSD (C) just for WINDOWS (maybe for some games too) and Programs, the 2nd SSD (E) exclusive for games and the HDD for STORAGE (images, videos, etc..) mostly.
I was thinking about the WD BLACK, but i read i will not notice a BIG improve of access times from the BLUE one (7200 rpm) apart from the 1TB extra.

If you're a gamer you should indeed have that second SSD.

I would then consider buying a third SSD as workdrive + scratchdisk + virtual memory.

Consider this; if anything goes wrong with that disk due to extensive use you do not lose any data or affect your system! Buy a new SSD, assign scratch and virtual mem to it and you're good to go.

When I'm done with a project in PS or Blender I put the files in a folder and transfer them to my datadrive - PS files + PS examples, Blender files + Blender examples leaving my workdrive empty except scratch and virtual mem.

Remember, working with a SSD is faster.

Back