What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low-key background banding??

Noz03

I am working on a low key image right now. The idea was to cut her out and put some natural almost black background in. But it doesn't seem to be working at all. I guess it's called banding, but how can I gently brush in with a low opacity or use the gradient tool without this horrible effect?

imagejpeg.jpg

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could do with the background?
But I'm also a bit worried that if it is printed or uploaded to facebook etc it might also have problems with the near black.

Any opinions are very welcome :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Low key images are about high contrast dramatic lighting. The trick is start with the right image.

Your not actually replacing the background as much as you are adding to it and darkening it. There should never be a need to cut out the subject or use gradients. The best tool would be the Brush Tool. There are other methods but none with better control.

Here I have chosen a high contrast image.
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.44.43 PM.png

On a new layer I just start brushing with an ALMOST black color to fill in the background.
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.44.53 PM.png

Then you lower the opacity and hardness of your brush and start working the edges.
Stick to the areas that would naturally be dark and watch the contours.
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.45.05 PM.png

You can do as little or go as far as you wish.......
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.45.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.53.02 PM.png

Noz03

Low key images are about high contrast dramatic lighting. The trick is start with the right image.

Your not actually replacing the background as much as you are adding to it and darkening it. There should never be a need to cut out the subject or use gradients. The best tool would be the Brush Tool. There are other methods but none with better control.

Thanks for the great example. You are right I think all the time I spent carefully cutting it out with the pen tool was a little overkill. Even so, I still feel a little like the image had too much pure black space, maybe its just me...

I cropped it in a lot tighter and added some rain which kinda made sense with the umbrella, but not sure if I like it still... It's one of those things I had an image of in my head but when it comes together it just doesn't look how I hoped :/ if anyone has any c&c or creative suggestions please feel free. Of course I know it still needs some touchup work especially on her back but just wanna get the style right before I finish it up.

rheingau-001.jpg

Last edited: