What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dropping out backgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbird

Banned
Is there an app that correctly drops out backgrounds of either a specific color or in their entirety? I would love that even more than softening the edges of an image.

There is no PS tool that will CORRECTLY drop out what I need. I tried the background eraser but got a message that it could not be used because of 'a program error'. Why is every darn thing a problem?

Thank you

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, Photoshop has this ability.

Please forgive this observation....................but you seem to be the only one having problems. Have you considered upgrading your Ps version to the latest?

starbird

Banned
You made an excellent observation. For many reasons I am financially unable to take on yet another monthly payment in order to rent Photoshop CC. I know that no one will agree, but I find it egregious on the part of Adobe. Even after paying for years, you still don't get to have PS on your own computer. I am trying to hold out. It's a rent forever deal whether you use it daily or monthly... you never get to own it.

Even on this site I have a problem. I click the icon for adding an image. The box comes up and offers the computer or a URL. I choose computer, navigate to and select the image and it never saves or shows it. Why, I do not know. There is no 'save' button, only 'choose'o and after choosing nothing happens. There is nothing to click but the X at the top. It doesn't even say what it's for. Close the window or send the image.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You made an excellent observation. For many reasons I am financially unable to take on yet another monthly payment in order to rent Photoshop CC. I know that no one will agree, but I find it egregious on the part of Adobe. Even after paying for years, you still don't get to have PS on your own computer. I am trying to hold out. It's a rent forever deal whether you use it daily or monthly... you never get to own it.
I understand. But since this is a choice your making for yourself, then you need to find a way to be happy with the outcome and problems you face with your current version of Ps. Before you ask any further questions about why everything is a problem for you, make sure to remember that it's your choice.

starbird said:
Even on this site I have a problem. I click the icon for adding an image. The box comes up and offers the computer or a URL. I choose computer, navigate to and select the image and it never saves or shows it. Why, I do not know. There is no 'save' button, only 'choose'o and after choosing nothing happens. There is nothing to click but the X at the top. It doesn't even say what it's for. Close the window or send the image.
Again this is not a problem with the site. In your description above you do not mention that you pressed the "upload files" (below the browse button) after you have chosen a file. Please try that.

starbird

Banned
If I knew where the screen shots were going I would try to post one showing that those words do not appear anywhere on the insert image box or on the page behind it. Could it be because I am using Safari?

Yes, it is a choice, but only because of cost. And as mentioned I find it greedy as it must be ongoing forever. However, basic things should always work regardless of the model number.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's not Safari. You mentioned earlier that you made a change in TERMINAL (given to you by a senior advisor) which created a folder on your desktop desktop to house screenshots.

You ma need to go back into TERMINAL and change it back to the way it was.

I found this...........I don't know if it will work................

"......If for any reason your screenshots are being saved to a new location, you can change the location back to default by using Terminal. This is a simple process, but be extremely careful to paste the commands exactly as they're written. Open "Terminal" from your Utilities folder, and then type or paste the following line: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop/ Press "Enter," and then type or paste the following line to save the changes: killall SystemUIServer Press "Enter" again and exit Terminal, and your screenshots will save directly to your desktop.....'

starbird

Banned
Sam that looks wonderful, but I am not sure exactly what to paste. Would you please put whatever I am supposed to copy and paste in terminal IN one color and the instructions in another color or just this black.I know things must be done just so in terminal and I am afraid to mess up.

And if that gets me another folder I will never be able to thank you enough. Ever.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, I'm not sure if this will work!This will not get you a folder.............it will only reset the default setting of placing screenshots on the desktop!!!

"......If for any reason your screenshots are being saved to a new location, you can change the location back to default by using Terminal. This is a simple process, but be extremely careful to paste the commands exactly as they're written.

Open "Terminal" from your Utilities folder, and then type or paste the following line: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop/
Press "Enter,"

Then type or paste the following line to save the changes: killall SystemUIServer
Press "Enter" again and exit Terminal.

Your screenshots will save directly to your desktop.
....'

starbird

Banned
You are the MAN! Thank you a gazillion times over. I will get a senior advisor to find the code for putting them into my folder rather than scattering them hither and yon on the desktop. I still want to know why I cannot see the appropriate button to upload a screen shot. But thank you again and again. At least they are somewhere even if I have to hunt for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.