What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

album cover

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice concept, with the minimal color and the tatami-like texture. I like that. It is too cluttered though and the eye travels all over. What's the point of the flying car? A lot of people might know what the rectangular electronic item is but I don't and it is really hazy/unclear and positioned poorly. Does this artist really record to cassette tapes? I like the way those are arranged kinda coming out of his head. However, I'm not too crazy about his head being cut off in that way. It creates an illusion of a line across the entire image which is disruptive.

My suggestions would be too bring the portrait up higher, replace or create the rest of his head. Then you can blend that part of the image (especially if it is one you have to create and you don't want it 100% visible) into the background, being sure to soften some of the original image into the BG as well. Take out the car and the electronic gadget or get a whole lot more of those tings and toss them inside of a shape, such as the cutout of a city skyline hazy in the distance at the upper left. Adjust cassettes if you really want to still use them. Lose the model; you can't see her anyway, or if you do the outline shape in the background maybe she could perch on it like spiderman. Increase the size of the speakers and move the Text to a place that makes sense.

Well, you asked!

brandon skyy

Clare made some good points, and also, this seems more like just a collage then a cover. I do like the effect you did to him specifically, but these are just images floating around inside of a square. Like look at him...His head is cut off and it isnt even touching the top edge of the cover. Take whatever images he has given to you of himself, and browse deviantart or officialpsds for some stocks and backgrounds. Once you have him set in a background that works, as in lighting/shading/coloring (which u can change yourself), then you can start adding other objects like cars or speakers or whatever.

ibclare

Queen Bee
One more thing. Even though you have pictures from the net, your whole image should be in a higher resolution to start with. If it's really in the running to be an album cover, it has to be in a resolution that is consistent with what's needed for print quality. OTOH, if it's a virtual album cover - only going to be seen on the web - then ignore this post!

Brandon wrote: browse deviantart or officialpsds for some stocks and backgrounds

Yes, excellent idea!

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Okay, this is probably far from what you have in mind, but I played around for awhile. There are so many images on the web. You go to officialpsds and do a search and chances are you'll find what you're looking for in a good format and executed well. So just an idea for you. It got out of square when I decided to float the car down at the bottom, but you get the idea:

Attachments

• steadyS.jpg
    steadyS.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
thanks clare, i see what your saying about organization and randomness. oh sorry, would you mind renaming the file to something that does not reference the artist name or album title? sorry, i just don't want him to find this when he searches for his name on google.

i'm still working on a new design, but have gotten stuck for now... argghh lol

ibclare

Queen Bee
i will do that. Changed.

When I get stuck, it is often because I am reluctant to let go of the idea I already have. My suggestion is that you copy into another document the main elements you think you might keep, add new images, create type layers, and just plain forget about the first design. You may end up going back to it for part of your design or not. But designing is all about creating alternative ideas, making messes and mistakes, taking a break from it, then going back with fresh ideas.

I would suggest just getting a bunch of images together, maybe even physical like from magazines. Maybe read up on the musician and see if that inspires you (maybe you did that already). The important thing here: let go; let new ideas flow.

Last edited:
i can't tell if your being sarcastic.

the colors and photograph make me cringe lol i don't think i like this one anymore

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
i can't tell if your being sarcastic.

the colors and photograph make me cringe lol i don't think i like this one anymore

Godz NO. I have a sardonic sense of humor, but I am so sorry, I mean it. Your pieces are so much more thoughtful in the way they're composed. That's what I was referring to. and it's funny you should say that about not liking it anymore. Sometimes a few elements are still great but it's time to start over. I'm just doing that with my latest. You could try hue/saturation adjustments, or you could just move on. Anyway, I think you've really got the idea of simplicity and coherence since the first one you posted. Keep posting more images, album cover or not. If you get whole different stuff going, start a new thread. See you around kiddo!

Last edited: