What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Girls and car

Toney Park

This is the topic I'm most interested in as a photographer, and how to make the pic pop out has always been my consideration. Here I combined one of my shots with different elements hoping something beautiful can come out. :)

Though the final result looks fine too me (but please any comment is welcome :)), I found it difficult to make the main subject look like they're in the night. I had no clue how to hide the highlights in the faces and the top of the car.:banghead: Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC_1670_????.JPG
    DSC_1670_????.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 3
  • bridge1.jpg
    bridge1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 200832023038314_2.jpg
    200832023038314_2.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2008225153630666.jpg
    2008225153630666.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 110710-DSC_1670-Edit_????.jpg
    110710-DSC_1670-Edit_????.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 2

Paul

Former Member
Hope you don't mind but i did this.
All i did was cut them out put them on the bridges and do a couple of multiply passes and play around with the settings.

Attachments

• onthebridge.jpg
    onthebridge.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 36
Hi Toney Park

Try using the levels adjustment layers,play whit the sliders increasing shadows for nightly effect or highlights for day effect, that will be the easiest and effective way to create that type of effects, also don't forget to use the layer mask, for precise adjustment effect control by painting on it to hide or reveal fx "black or white colors"

Also try using the unsharp mask under filters>Sharpen, and Filters>Other>high pass those are some of the filters being overlooked by most of us and it will allow you to create pretty awesome effects on your pics

Hope this helps.

Hoogle

Guru
Ok I played with this a lot infact almost an hour very rare for me to spend that much time on a project I dont think it is how you want it but I will try and explain how I did it (maybe I should have written it down)
2008225153630666.jpg
Ok I am aware your not interested in the background but I had to do it so I could see the whole image and match colours etc
ok obviously you know the 2 background images are darkened and blurred etc so I will only concentrate on the girls and car layer
first I tweaked the exposure down slightly
also bought the curves down slightly but slightly increased the red channel to get the night glow on their skin
then I did a levels adjustment bringing the blacks in stronger and slide the middle slider across to darken the image
then adjusted the vibrance and hue saturation to get the night glow style
then I went to image > adjustment shadow and highlights cranked the shadows up and reduced the highlights and repeated a couple of times
I added a 50% grey layer and set blending mode to colour and reduced opacity
and the rest is all manageable to your style as for the bleached effect and washed out

Toney Park

Hope you don't mind but i did this.
All i did was cut them out put them on the bridges and do a couple of multiply passes and play around with the settings.

lol the picture with girls inside definitely is a nice material to play with :cheesygrin:

Toney Park

Hi Toney Park

Try using the levels adjustment layers,play whit the sliders increasing shadows for nightly effect or highlights for day effect, that will be the easiest and effective way to create that type of effects, also don't forget to use the layer mask, for precise adjustment effect control by painting on it to hide or reveal fx "black or white colors"

Also try using the unsharp mask under filters>Sharpen, and Filters>Other>high pass those are some of the filters being overlooked by most of us and it will allow you to create pretty awesome effects on your pics

Hope this helps.

Thanks $......$ (typing your name is such a project....jokin:)) ! Yeah I tried to use level adjustment but the face will go pale altogether and don't look like human...I should have used mask to fine control definitely, but sometimes after playing with a huge psd file (it went 1GB in the end) you just lose the patience you need..I'll put my result later.

Sharpen is a great tool, I should've used it. Haven't used high pass filter before, but will give it a shot. I guess in this modern fashion type photo they should be helpful.:cool2:

fenix

Guru
I think the photo that you did is really good Toney. It looks like it was taken late in the afternoon which is´t that easy to achieve considering the choice of photos used for the project. That high light works even tho it should have been a warmer light if taken late in the afternoon, bit the pic itself works just fine i think! Nice tone & feeling as well.

Toney Park

Here I'll post the updated version.... did several changes, after reading all the helpful comments in the thread.

The changes I made include:
1, Darkening the top of the car by drawing black on the top directly
2, Add a white border to the top so it won't look too dim
3, Darkening parts of the faces and skin so they look more realistic
4, Adding a little bit of reddish to the skin to suggest a nightly theme
5, Adjusted the overall curve
6, Sharpened the image

There are other changes such as fine-tuning the model faces but doesn't quite relate to what has been in discussion here. I'm sure there are still lots of aspects that can be improved in the pic, should anyone feel like to work on it please feel free to do so! :thumbsup:

Attachments

294 KB · Views: 1
    265.9 KB · Views: 1

Burned Ice

Power User
looks good