What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas Card Design

inkpad.t

Guru
Hi everyone.

A Christmas card design I've done in Photoshop... I've been told the top and bottom of the design looks like an eye and doesn't fit the design.. what do guys think...

christmas_bg_1.jpg

I've left the area at the bottom ready for some text, and the area to the top right over the arch curves for some smaller text. I was also wondering if i should put the Xmas balls and stars at the bottom and leave the area at the top for the larger text ?.

Inkz

Guru
This is a really nice design for a Christmas card...

And no, I don't think the waves look like an eye at all.

Good work inkpad

ChrisHPZ

Power User
It did remind me of having the eye of Cleopatra but that's no reason to fault your work. In taking a little stab here, the graphics are very sharp in that they made me think this was done in a vector program like Illustrator. So did Illustrator have anything to do with this image?

inkpad.t

Guru
Hi there ChrisHPZ.

It did remind me of having the eye of Cleopatra but that's no reason to fault your work. In taking a little stab here, the graphics are very sharp in that they made me think this was done in a vector program like Illustrator. So did Illustrator have anything to do with this image?

No.. all graphics and shapes etc were done in Photoshop using Photoshop's vector capabilities .. No Illustrator. Some areas of shading shadows etc were hand drawn with a soft brush and other areas were shapes that were rastarized then blurred.

One of the main reasons for sharpness ( i think ) is because i did the work at a high resolution at a large scale, then scaled it back down to the size i wanted...Not so sure if that the right way or wrong way to do it but that's what i did.

To Inkz.. Thank you very much....

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Oh ok, my second guess was going to be by use of a ton a vector masks as this method is used a lot when working with selections. Either way it's still good work.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I like it inkpad. Very nice and I agree with all the comments about the "eye." I would suggest increasing the blue space at the bottom so that their is more balance to it and more room for text as a byproduct of that.

inkpad.t

Guru
Thank you ibclare...

I was thinking of taking the text from the bottom left and curving it over the bottom curves reducing it in size as it went.. Not so sure that's a good idea as people might not be able to read it.. Do you think i should make the curves at the bottom horizontal for the text ?...

thank you

ChrisHPZ

Power User
It's not really a question of should or should not. Do it anyway and see what happens. Inkpad if there's one thing I've learned about altering graphics it's that when you do this, often it generates new ideas for graphics you do down the road. As far as readability goes, it is subjective to the person who looks at a graphic. Transform your text, and twist it around and see what happens. You'd be surprised at the new ideas you get. The point here is to experiment. One thing you can do to make whatever text you want to insert readable is to give it some element of contrast. Your image is primarily blue, so white text with maybe a drop shadow, beveled edge or if you really want to get some attention, put a glow around it, haha!! I get ripped on for using outer glows and some of the comments I've read are hilarious. I think that's why I use them.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thank you ibclare...

I was thinking of taking the text from the bottom left and curving it over the bottom curves reducing it in size as it went.. Not so sure that's a good idea as people might not be able to read it.. Do you think i should make the curves at the bottom horizontal for the text ?...

thank you

No, actually I don't. I like the curve; it gives it a rhythm that is not your average Christmas design. But I do still think you need more blue space on the bottom.

I agree with Chris. Whatever you do with the text, keep it easily readable. You're not talking a sig line on a painting, but a sign on a little billboard, so to speak.

vanspitael

It took me looking at it for a long time to figure out what you meant by looks like a eye, so I guess it does not look like a eye to me. I think it looks great. Love Christmas time! Makes me want to do one of my own now.

TheCEL

I love it. When i LOOK at it, it gives me that Christmas feeling in my body.. The eye thing shouldnt be a problem. Because in our EYES its chrismas. GET IT!!!??? Oooooo..Ok i'll stop.. I love the design though.

Paul

Former Member
I really like it, but i think the bottom is empty all i did was copy the top and make it as a reflection, just an idea.
idea.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
One last suggestion: keep the text minimal so that the inside of the card carries the message. In fact, I wouldn't use any text at all. The design is lovely and doesn't need more space at the bottom if you don't add text, IMO. Or you can create a white box at the bottom for a message.

It's not as if the card needs to explain itself to anyone. Let your art speak for itself. Add your personal message elsewhere.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
That's a nice Christmas card, bu tit would be much better if you have used some better colors to it.

Better colors such as ones that are used at Sax Fifth Avenue in New York City? Or maybe Kmart Blue Light Special colors are good enough? Seems to me that the colors used in this composition are perfectly befitting a design of this theme. Can anyone imagine a Christmas card with say colors like cyan, aquamarine, marina green and reds? You know like the one's found on a tropical vacation advertisement.