What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you favorite free image download source websites?

SepiaPhotographi

Let's all share our resources!

I love deviantart.com

So many artists have galleries there and love for us to use their stuff. Most just want a simple credit. (as you have seen throughout the forum entries, most recently especially) Some want you to link your image on their site or at least make a comment on the site.

What is yours?

I have mixed feelings about Deviant art. Although I still think it's an amazing site, as many thousands of groups there are there, it's not a good place to learn Photoshop or AI. I think it's a site only good for finding inspiring art, and resources for *.ATN, *.TTF, *.Brushes, etc. There's also a lot of art theft there too. I don't share a ton of my work there unfortunately.

Also, I think it's a good idea that more art boards discuss the issue of copyrights when it comes to these "free" sites. Not to be a "party killer," but remember that any site that has user submitted content, there's always a risk. It's unbelievable how many people who don't understand the concept of "fare use," OR they just don't care and share anything, whether it's copyrighted or not. But who gets in trouble? The people that download and use it. We are using these site with the trust that whomever uploaded the content, is indeed the original copyright holder. I try to be soooo careful, even on the "public domain" sites, and Creative Commons sites. For certain images, I even go as far as keeping a record of the images, and a screenshot of the site I got it from, and if possible, the actual printed license that is offered. It won't stop someone from coming after you, but it does show the court that you've used it in good faith that the image used was indeed free two use.

I think the only exception is fan art, because copyright holders give you leg-room to create new art, because they understand fandom, and how it crucially relates to popularity and advertisement.

Last edited: