What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mixed Martial Arts Poster Designs

Rob_IMX

Every few months, I design a Poster for a small MMA Fight League called Hybrid Combat Promotions. I enjoy designing these, they pretty much let do whatever I want so I get to play around with design ideas. Sometimes the quality of the fighter photos are less then ideal but I do my best to retouch and enhance them.

Let me know what you think :)

hybrid_h11.jpghybrid_h12.jpghybrid_h13.jpghybrid_h14.jpghybrid_h15.jpghybrid_h16.jpg

Rob, I really admire your work! You have a strong grasp on grunge! I love the transitions and the way you keep the text in the days, dates, and times varied and with different styles. I especially like the "Saturday" in the last one. The "H11 - 16" are also nicely varied.
Keep up the fantastic work!

I love the way the grunge style did good for the posters. And the way you did the text layout - perfect.

Just one thing I noticed.... maybe its my monitor (and it might be coz it's been bad the past weeks) .... but are some of the combatants 3d model renders? That's how they look at my end.... lol

Or maybe the result of retouching since you did mention some of the mug shots were bad.

I'm sure your client will like these.

I love the way the grunge style did good for the posters. And the way you did the text layout - perfect.

Just one thing I noticed.... maybe its my monitor (and it might be coz it's been bad the past weeks) .... but are some of the combatants 3d model renders? That's how they look at my end.... lol

Or maybe the result of retouching since you did mention some of the mug shots were bad.

I'm sure your client will like these.

It's a result of retouching; some of the photos I got were very low res and very grainy but it's all I had to work with so I retouch the hell out of them! haha

Hi Rob...great designs.

I remember asking you in another thread you did on film posters about what size canvas to use and what resolution to use...

This thread has brought it back to me on that question .. i did try what you suggested but found that My Photoshop crashed or couldn't handle the large files size...

Is your PS set up especially for your poster designs ? do i have to increase the amount of ram it needs.. i think what i'm trying to ask is .... do you have your PS optimized just for poster sizes etc ?...

I am currently working with CS6 and I haven't made any change in the preferences about ram or cache so I don't think that would be your issue.

Photoshop does require a whole lot of cache space when working with large files. I know form experience that when designing a large format poster 24 x 36 at 300dpi, I need at least 10 gigs free on my primary drive otherwise Photoshop will begin to slow down and my Mac will tell me that I am running low on space.

Other than that, make sure you save your large poster files as .psb instead of .psd

These posters however were only designed at 11 x 17 at 300 dpi (with bleeds) since that was their final destination. There was no need to design them larger.

Thanks Rob..

Also on CS 6 ... just keeps going sow slow and crashing on large files... loads of gig space on both my primary drive and external drive.

Check the cache , increased the ram amount Photoshop uses .

Then i realized what was going wrong ( i think ) i was using the 32 bit version in stead of the 64 bit . check and found out my PC is geared for 64 bit. Now don't get any crashes. Seems to run smooth.

Thanks for the help

Very nice stuff here Rob, and I can't think of even one critique, not that I scrubbed through them. But you wouldn't do that with a poster. The idea is to catch the eye and get the info across and you did that really well. No wonder your client keeps coming back for more.

I really like the ones with the varying desaturations. :thumbsup:

I like the variations in the logo at the top of the pages. Yeah, the quality in lighting of the fighter photos is pretty bad in some of them. Maybe you can create some edge effects with different layering or lighting effects to make up for that or make the fighters 2d layers in a 3d space to have them lifting off of the poster.

If you are looking for new ideas, probably my favorite poster-design company recently is a company that a Chicago-based club called The Underground is using for their promotions. They are Rockit Ranch Productions. Here's a link to their poster gallery. Not all of their designs will apply to what you are doing, but they seem to always have a theme for the poster or the event that is reinforced heavily in the typeface they are using and the overall layout.

I would also say that if you are looking to try something different, see what it would look like to make the faces of the fighters fill the poster more. Right now, you are showing their bodies a lot, but I already assume they have good bodies if they are professional fighters. What I'd more want to see, as a viewer (not a promoter), is the intensity of the facial expressions. Maybe if you are only placing two fighter's faces on the poster, try doing a split screen with one half of one face on the left and one half of the other face on the right. It would be more visually grabbing for me. Then, very small in the background, you could have the full figure pose if you are required to put that in there.

I would also work more closely with the photographer to take shots which will match the lighting in the layout you want to do. Like in the last poster you display in your post, there's a specific light source in the lettering. If you could match this light source and color in the original photography, that would be ideal. Otherwise, I'd use Photoshop's lighting tools to try and mimic that light source on the fighters. I hope that makes sense.

This sounds more like suggestions of another style than any critiques of the posters. Not saying they aren't worthwhile suggestions, but not critical. Always worthwhile to consider another approach, but Rob, your style is great.

Very nice stuff here Rob, and I can't think of even one critique, not that I scrubbed through them. But you wouldn't do that with a poster. The idea is to catch the eye and get the info across and you did that really well. No wonder your client keeps coming back for more.

I really like the ones with the varying desaturations. :thumbsup:

I like the variations in the logo at the top of the pages. Yeah, the quality in lighting of the fighter photos is pretty bad in some of them. Maybe you can create some edge effects with different layering or lighting effects to make up for that or make the fighters 2d layers in a 3d space to have them lifting off of the poster.

If you are looking for new ideas, probably my favorite poster-design company recently is a company that a Chicago-based club called The Underground is using for their promotions. They are Rockit Ranch Productions. Here's a link to their poster gallery. Not all of their designs will apply to what you are doing, but they seem to always have a theme for the poster or the event that is reinforced heavily in the typeface they are using and the overall layout.

I would also say that if you are looking to try something different, see what it would look like to make the faces of the fighters fill the poster more. Right now, you are showing their bodies a lot, but I already assume they have good bodies if they are professional fighters. What I'd more want to see, as a viewer (not a promoter), is the intensity of the facial expressions. Maybe if you are only placing two fighter's faces on the poster, try doing a split screen with one half of one face on the left and one half of the other face on the right. It would be more visually grabbing for me. Then, very small in the background, you could have the full figure pose if you are required to put that in there.

I would also work more closely with the photographer to take shots which will match the lighting in the layout you want to do. Like in the last poster you display in your post, there's a specific light source in the lettering. If you could match this light source and color in the original photography, that would be ideal. Otherwise, I'd use Photoshop's lighting tools to try and mimic that light source on the fighters. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks! You have some cool ideas, unfortunately for these particular jobs, I don't get any interaction with the photographer, in fact, the photos come in from many sources! lol.. I just receive a set of photos and that's what I have to work with :p

very nice
How much time it take to realise just 1 poster?

I can whip one of these up in about 2 hours; but after the first, I pretty much have a template made. The variations are just the photos, the color schemes and the textures

Checked out Rocket Ranch portfolio, there's some nice posters there! I especially like that diner poster with the hamburgers! haha.. for some reason, I REALLY want to design something with high-end food pictures, like a menu or something.. but in all my years of pro graphic designing, it's never come up! haha

Back