What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Criticism or Critique?

Steve

Retired Administrator
Do you want a Criticism or a Critique?
I see so may people asking for criticisms of their work.

Just to clarify.
A criticism is "the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes"

What you want is a critique.
A critique is "a careful judgment in which you give your opinion about the good and bad parts of something (such as a piece of writing or a work of art)"

Hoogle

Guru
Oh I thought we we voting on a dedicated forum for critique I like that idea as it is handed out a lot even when not asked for at least if we have a dedicated forum for it everyone knows the work posted there is for critique (and maybe criticism aswell lol)

egosbar

Guru
that is true , but if you post a certain image like the "stealing time" image i posted and you really do want as much critique to help you improve when you ask some people are more likely to spend a couple of minutes going over your image

in the stealing time one i think its one of my best so id like a lot of different critiques adding imput as i can get to help me improve further

Paul

Former Member
It is critique, and to have your work critiqued is positive it helps to have things pointed out you as the originator could easily over look.
As for unwanted critiques, this will always happen because everyone is a critic.

egosbar

Guru
i guess with critisism a comment might be made on one point that is pretty obvious , a good critique of an image should look at all the little imperfections as well as what works well

SepiaPhotographi

At the same time, I think it depends on the receiver, and how the message is delivered. Critique can still sound very much borderline criticism. I always try to be careful how I express my thoughts, as art is very subjective.