What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little Photoshop Art

Lorenzo

Jewels.jpg

This is a little Art who i made for fun :)

What do you think? Do you like it? Do you have suggestions?

This is a very nice creation Lorenzo.
Though since you ask for suggestions, I would start to colorize the shapes of the diamond. It looks a little lost in the sky.
Here is a color sample.

diamant.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
We just had a create gem question yesterday with some links for making something look more gemlike. Look in the new posts or the general photoshop board. It might be in newbies . . . don't remember.

I agree with chris; the outline gets lost in the strong color of the bg. If you don't want to create a full gem appearance, I have a suggestion.

Make the outline greater, give it an inner glow, maybe a colored stroke, maybe an outer glow. Make the outline large enough that it stands out and you can see the glows but also the outline. Just a though. Otherwise, nice work!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice, simple, and clean. Colors are complimentary....I like it.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi , Lorenzo.

The diamond is supposed to be the focal point in the image..... If you use a real diamond (or PS-created one) rather than just a line drawing, this will look better.

And to give it a more distinguished look, use an elegant looking font - a cursive type font.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the line drawing. Maybe the slightest hint of white gradation in the facets.

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 3.29.28 PM.png

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Lorenzo -

There is a saying in English that applies to me: "I have no horse in this race". So, I feel that I am unbiased in my opinion and can say what I feel. IMHO, the version that you posted in #8 looks like a flat, uninteresting, 2D shape that doesn't particularly remind me of a diamond. It feels more like we are looking down at a Manta ray swimming in some blue water (interior lines not withstanding). It would not attract me to this business. In contrast, I feel that the version of the shape that Sam posted is vastly better: elegant, simple, catchy, just the right amount of suggestion of three dimensionality, sophisticated, etc. His design is right along the lines of what was suggested by every other person who responded to this thread: Chris, Clare, and dv8.

With respect to your statement in post #8 that "you don't want a real diamond", in the real world of commercial design, it just doesn't matter what *you* want. In this business, one must have humility in the sense of realizing that there is a very good chance that what pleases you personally may not be the way a majority of other people will see your design. All that really matters is producing an *effective* design. In other words, something that catches the eye of many viewers and brings them into the "store" (either real or virtual). This is why important commercial designs are always evaluated by focus groups,various kinds of blind testing, and a myriad of other techniques. To give you an idea of how supremely important unbiased advice is in design for marketing, just click on few of the links in this glossary of marketing terms. Follow through some of them to articles such as this on on "concept testing".

Whether you realize it or not, in this thread, you have been given advice by people who collectively probably have more than 150 years of experience with Photoshop, and at least two of which have been paid by others to make good designs for their entire careers (ie, as designers). In contrast, by your own admission, you are just starting out and have only two years of experience with PS. You should listen to what they say. Their goal is not to be contrary or to be show-offs, they are just trying to be helpful to you.

I hope you take this friendly advice from me about listening carefully to what others recommend as another attempt to be helpful.

Tom

Lorenzo

Certainly, I agree with you. I always accept the advice of anyone who has more or less years of experience. I'm not judging their work, their advice to me, indeed, I am more than happy to receive help from experts like you.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I don't want a real diamond, i want a simple shape of a diamon, making it stand out with some nice effects.
This is the "Final" result.

So the simple tutorial was better. You did a good job on the shape and fill.

Still it's my opinion that the lines defining the diamond are too thin. They seem unbalanced in opposition to the heavy, colorful text and ribbon..

ibclare

Queen Bee
Just ten years Tom> LOL, I alone have been working (if not always with great progression in my learning til I joined the forum and lynda.com) since 2004, and some lighter work in PS (for limited uses) since 1996. So collectively . . .

Tom Mann

Guru
@Clare - I included myself in the estimated 150 year grand total, but, you're right ... maybe I overstated the total in PS a bit and simply should have said, "first worked as a designer". In my case, probably because of getting 100% in my high school design and mechanical drawing courses, I was hired to design signs (both large and small) and technical illustrations for journals and magazines for my undergrad alma mater as a freshman. Suffice it to say, that was a long, LoooOOOONNNNGGGG time ago. ;-)

T

PS - I bet Swiss Chris remembers Leroy Lettering kits by Keuffel and Esser, eh, Chris? LOL.

Tom Mann

Guru
So, if memory serves, Leroy kits probably stopped being used somewhere around 1975 or so, and I was using them 10 years earlier, it looks like we have close to 90 or 100 years between just V and me. Add another 40 or more for Swiss Chris, a couple of decades (at least) for that young whippersnapper, Clare, and God-knows how much for Sam, we've got quite the crowd here.

Maybe we should be designing a PSG memorial wheelchair, LOL!

Actually, the truth be told, just a few days ago, two of my seniors took 3rd place in a engineering design competition for a voice-controlled, inexpensive, smart wheelchair for 3 world countries. It ain't pretty, but it worked just fine considering it was put together using a thrown out wheelchair chassis, semi-dead car batteries, a couple of old microcontrollers, cheap distance sensors for drop-off and collision detection, etc.. :)

T

D7B_7900_raw-LR_to_PSD_proFoto-ps02b_sRGB-01b_698px_hi_for_web.jpg

PS - Yeah, I took the picture for their poster.

PPS - Sorry for the hijack. Nostalgia suddenly took control of my fingers. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

Last edited:
@Clare - I included myself in the estimated 150 year grand total, but, you're right ... maybe I overstated the total in PS a bit and simply should have said, "first worked as a designer". In my case, probably because of getting 100% in my high school design and mechanical drawing courses, I was hired to design signs (both large and small) and technical illustrations for journals and magazines for my undergrad alma mater as a freshman. Suffice it to say, that was a long, LoooOOOONNNNGGGG time ago. ;-)

T

PS - I bet Swiss Chris remembers Leroy Lettering kits by Keuffel and Esser, eh, Chris? LOL.

I can not imagine how I could work in these times with those funny tools. But it was the best that there was and you could draw very good designs. :lol:

ibclare

Queen Bee
OK, on with the show. I used boards and that sticky on stuff on a layout table and rubber cement pickups in 1975, so my design sense goes way back... just a bit. I got all As that year in my college classes, though that didn't last for long, lol.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Leroy-Leroy came out in 1960. Last time I used it was with an architectural company 5 years ago. It was the boss's favorite lettering template - he had 2 sets both dated from the 60's.

Personally... I wish I could get hold of an original set. I like using it for manual works.

Tom Mann

Guru
"...Last time I used it was with an architectural company 5 years ago...."

Wow. I'm astonished they were still using it that recently.

I have some old slide rules by K&E, Pickett, and it would be fun to add a Leroy lettering set to the collection, but I kinda like the way kerning is determined a bit more accurately these days, LOL. :)

T