What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiment with light

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToM

Guru
Nice job Eggy!

On a technical note though, isn't the furthest oar just a little out-of-place?...

boat_01.png

Ignoring perspective, would that oar even be visible? If you take the Cyan line to be MY guess as to its position you would probably only see the very tip of oar at most by the pointy end, and maybe a little of it under your left arm...depending on where your right hand is.

I hate to keep bringing up the technical side of things but for me this stood out like a baboons backside.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS. To be honest this was just an excuse to type the word 'Rollocks'.:lol:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yes indeed MrTom, also the angle of the right oar makes it impossible to 'hook' into the right 'rollock'.:rofl:

After contemplation and using a lot of 'helplines' I came up with a solution for the right oar.

You can not see a lot of it but it is the most 'correct' solution I found.

I'm glad to have a lot of eyes to look at my project because even a small 'wrong' detail spoils the whole picture.

Thanks again for your observations.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

MrToM

Guru
Yeah, that's the ticket!
It only take the slightest hint of an oar for the 'brain' to fill in the blanks.....far more convincing...excellent!

Its just begging now for someone to point out you've forgotten it altogether....more fool them!:rofl:

I forgot to mention last time but you've done a really good job on those extra ripples on the water surface too.
Oh I nearly forgot....rollocks.

Regards.
MrTom.

inkpad.t

Guru
Starting to get there but still doesn't look right to me, just me that is, I still think the r/h ore would be more seen , up more on the angle to the man who looks like he's rowing with one arm. the boat its self looks floating, ( yes I know its on water LOL ) But think it would be more deeper in the water as the back end where your wife is sat looks to be floating out of the water. Not sue about the ripple direction from the boat should be so squeezed together but would have more radius away from the boat and not as if they are in motion at the side of the boat, I also think there should be some colour balancing between the boat and you and your wife to blend in to the composition , then some over all balancing to finish it.

All this bare in mind are just personal preferences and others will view it different. And after all that if YOUR the one that's happy with it , then that's a great image.

Well done.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
@inkpad.t:
I tried a lot of positions for the right oar but after calculating (yes indeed) this one seems the best for me.
I dropped the boat down in the water a few inches and yes, this way seems more natural.
I agree that the water ripples were too much squeezed.
I corrected that and some more. Because the boat is in motion (not olympic style) there are just a few ripples near the front of the boat but near the end of the boat I extended them creating a bigger radius.
I even added a glinch of my right knee (not on the photo) to prevent me from tipping over to the right.
About the colour balancing between the boat and the persons, that I don't get.

But I do thank you for the observations.

I added an update.

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
OK, in a way I was curious to find out in what way you improved the project.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here are the changes made by combo_jerman.

Combo_Jerman_Composition_001b copy.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks IamSam for the opportunity to react.

Well, I think everybody has the right to have an opinion but this is not my cup of tea.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the main mistake here is the lack of a projected shadow of the boat (a faint reflection is not doing the job), no shadows of the persons on the boats gunnel or highlights on the same place and the upper side of the rope. (See position of sun)

Anyway, this was a closed project for me and I moved on.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes EGGY, I agree with all of your points, all of which were discussed earlier in the thread I believe. Shadows can be very complicated. Your last version was a much better interpretation. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The OP has requested that this thread be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.