What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Creepy Closet', late halloween pic

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I know, it's way too late, but I started this one before and didn't finished it on time.
I used five pics: the floor, wall(from CGtextures), closet, man and travel bag.
It started as an exercise to do rimlighting.

I'm all open to critique...Creepy closet.jpg

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi inkpad.t,

Yes I followed this particular tutorial after watching the work of Glyn Dewis.
I did also a project 'day into night' again following another tutorial of him but of course using my own pics. (https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/before-and-after-showroom/52525-day-into-night.html)
I like his technique of using light. It's simple, that is the base. The rest is up to who and how is using it in a way to make it realistic.

I'm in the proces of learning Photoshop (I'm using it a bit more than a year now) and I am eager to learn more about the many techniques used.
Therefore when I see a new technique I try to apply it a few times to practice.

I used his/this technique on this one also:

Dita met kaars origineel.jpg

Dita met kaars.jpg

I started with a daytime photo of one of the many castles along the Mozel river in germany. Using the same technique made it easy to highlight the arch and my wife.

This is one of the many techniques I wont forget but the use of it depends on the creativity of the user.

You can find the stockphoto of the wardrobe here: http://static.mijnwebwinkel.nl/winkel/antieksite/images/463515noten2deurskastmetzwart03.jpg
I found it on Google.

Greetings

Last edited:
Hi Eggy
I like your creation very much!

Just one thing is wrong. The angle of the shadows on the men's feet should follow the light source , which would be in the centre of the wardrobe.
I like how you've done the rim light, but I would make it stronger and softer... though maybe this is just me.
Another suggestion: To make the image "creepier", I would add more light seeping out of the slits of the wardrobe. See my attempt.

Creepy closetChris.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi Chris, and thanks for the comment.

Yes, that would be my next point of attention, the shadows!

The way you did it seems so natural. I'll have to work on that. The pre-winter chores are done, so I can spend a great part of my photoshopwinter to master 'shadows'.

Correct me if I'm wrong but should I increase the 'rim' surface exposure on the backside of the man but soften it more?

The seeping light (horizontal) works great for me. It even gives the picture a 'dusty' atmosphere.

On the vertical slit the light seems to focus on the middle giving a star radius effect. Not bad but is there no way to get the same effect as on the horizontal slit? I have no idea how to do that.

Anyways, let me grab a bite (dinner time) and I'll be back after.

Correct me if I'm wrong but should I increase the 'rim' surface exposure on the backside of the man but soften it more?
If you check my version, the blending of the man into the BG is softer but the backlight is brighter.

The seeping light (horizontal) works great for me. It even gives the picture a 'dusty' atmosphere.
On the vertical slit the light seems to focus on the middle giving a star radius effect. Not bad but is there no way to get the same effect as on the horizontal slit? I have no idea how to do that.
I'll give it a try.

Altaifus

inkpad.t thanks for posting that tutorial link, it`s awesome. I will watch more from that guy. Thanks again.

If you check my version, the blending of the man into the BG is softer but the backlight is brighter.

I'll give it a try.

Here is a new attempt.

Creepy closetChris2.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris, this looks very good.

I was working on the picture myself and now that I see your adaptation I have the idea we did about the same.

First I corrected the shadows on the legs.
Then I added the light on the horizontal slit.

It took me some time but I came with an idea for the vertical slit light:

I added a new layer
With the polygon tool I drew a trapezium for the left side and filled it with orange color.
I added a layer mask and applied a linear gradient
I blurred with gaussian
I blended with soft light
I corrected with soft brush

I duplicated this layer and flipped it verticaly for the right side.

Creepy closet02.jpg

I wonder how you did your adaptation.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris.

Well, basicly I see you did about the same thing, exept in one piece.
I cannot show you my layers, there are 27 of them without the 'hue/saturation', photofilters and brightness/contrast-adaptations.

I think now I've worked enough on that subject and I'll go on with a study of shadows.

Greetings