What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am a Photomanipulation Artist - Critique me

BOSTL

I am an artist, no wait.... im a commercial diver, well actually im a geek at heart.... But i do make art... kinda?

So here is my battle, i am a computer kid, everything computer related is me. The problem is everything i know is self taught. School seemed like a complete waste of time when it came to computers and art, since i felt that i already knew so much of what they were trying to sell me.

My problem is i want to get better but its hard to find books that tell me what i am missing, vs telling me endless amounts of what i know. Not saying i know lots, because i just know how to throw things against a wall till they stick.
So i am resorting to critiques. and even critiques on my process and work flow. Honestly any opinion is worth a million bucks to me. But i am looking for some real photoshop guru advice, hence why am here.

Below is 2 recent art pieces i have made.
Feel Like Falling.jpg

Final Moments.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Bostl. You found the right place her.

Both your composites are excellent photoshop work. Love how you've done the lighting in the first one. Looks very believable, hard to beat that.
The time lapses show that you completed your images in hundreds of little steps. I'm not surprised that you worked many hours on each composite.
I look forward to see more of your work.

Chris

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice work bostl. I would like to see the original images before your manipulation. It gives me a better basis for judging the compostion and the way you put it all together and adjusted the images to wrok together..

As a painter, a sketcher, a design for myself and friends artist - very amateur - including used to do web design before it became really sophisticated with complicated code, CSS, etc., I have a good background in art. I also have taken fine art, architecture, and photo history.

Design is a talent which can be taught and developed. A good eye and understanding of balance and color is part of what can be learned. Knowing what is "good" art is an innate ability. It can be increased by observation and learning of the critques of the works, seeing the artist's/photographer's progress over the years, and applying the principles you learn along the way.

I am a huge proponent of looking and looking at the artwork of others. Some people disagree and believe that the artist wihtin is all you need to produce great stuff. I think that is true for a few prodigies, but perhaps not for the rest of us.

All that said, I think your work demonstrates a good understanding of many of the principles of good design and use of color. You have a good background even if it doesn't seem applicable. I imagine you have seen more than you might think in creating the work you do. You are talented and I like the work you posted very much.

You can only improve and we will be very happy to help you along the way with critiques, suggestions, and techniques. So keep up the good work!

PS: I know I can tend to be a bit pedantic, so I apologize if I sound like a school teacher . . .

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
BTW, I see that you did post some of the before images. At least two of the links don't work however. They lead to empty pages or empty image screens.

I like your Utube with the blue development.

Last edited:

BOSTL

I really enjoyed your thought process, and i appreciate you sounding like a school teacher, its encouraging to hear what you believe and your opinion on art. Helps me to broaden my understanding and appreciate view points i may have not before. My only question is what do you mean by "I imagine you have seen more than you might think in creating the work you do." my brain is struggling to process, could be to late for my brain...

As for the images i used, here are 2 links for you, and anyone that wants to take a peak:
Falling:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104461843/Falling.zip
Final Moments:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104461843/Final%20Moments.zip

Those are zip files, with almost every image i used, as well as the original PSD files, so feel free to modify and play around in the craziness that is my Photoshop organizational style. o_0

ibclare

Queen Bee
I read about your feeling towards schooling and I sort of skipped past the part that says, I am an artist, and read the "no, wati!" So what I meant is that you want help to know what you are missing. I guess I misunderstood. We can all use critique and suggestions.

I don't think your first post disappeared . . . into the ether or otherwise!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So.... my original post vanished into the ether?
- - - - -profit? o_0

The original post became moderated as soon as you added the links in your edit. I removed the links as they were not necessary. Please feel free to post your speedart versions in the Show Board.

If you wish to promote your Deviant page, your certainly welcome to add a link in your signature line.

On another note: Very nice work!