What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More beginner work

Tom Mann

Guru
I absolutely love the photo (...I assume that you took it?), and think you did a very nice job simulating the water on each side of the road, the reflections and ripples, etc., but there is a cognitive dissonance in my mind because nowhere in the world have I ever seen such large shallow ponds in such an otherwise dry and barren landscape, except, perhaps after a major rain.

Anyway, if this slightly surreal look is what you intended, you did a very good job, but if you were going for realism, I would put fake ponds like that in some place like USA's Louisiana, not in such arid country.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

PS - By some chance, is the location in Turkey?

ugur

I didnt take the source photo, but i am into amateur photography. While creating the manipulation, i was thinking about a place like "salt lake".
the-great-salt-lake.jpg

Image location is not in Turkey by the way.
Thanks for your informative and quick reply.

Hi there. My work about displacement maps again.

Original image is here:
https://stocksnap.io/photo/JOFHLL37MB

My manipulation is:
View attachment 53133

Any advise, like or dislike is welcome.

Very nicely done ugur.
Though there is still a lot of "empty" space in the foreground. You could insert a person, a car hood, or a herd of sheep.
This is only my personal suggestion to add more tension to your image.

ugur

Thanks chrisdesign. Your suggestion is right. I was concantrated on water reflection techniques and whenever i finished them i posted here :) I have to be more patient maybe :)

Tom Mann

Guru
I didnt take the source photo, but i am into amateur photography. ...

Professional courtesy dictates that you should have explicitly stated that the source image wasn't yours. Since viewers don't know your real name, even if a viewer goes to the link that you so nicely provided, they still can't tell if you are the photographer or not, and hence, what part of the work actually is yours.

If the situation was reversed and someone slightly modified an image that you had spent hours to generate, but wasn't clear if the entire effort, or only part of it was theirs, how would you feel?

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

ugur

Tom, you are right, i was presuming that when i gave the link, it was clear that the image was not taken by me. From now on i will provide that information with my posts. Thank you for your warning.

iDesign

Tom, you are right, i was presuming that when i gave the link, it was clear that the image was not taken by me. From now on i will provide that information with my posts. Thank you for your warning.

Tom is the Copyright Police on the forum, he told me off too when I first joined the forum. I behave myself now ;).

I like your second image manipulation, theres just something I don't like about the blending on the first image, especially the reflection of the mountain but it's a good attempt.

Last edited: