What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double-exposure effect by {beforeandafter}

Hi guys, I'm new here. As my first post Just want to know how you guy think about this. If any of you want a tutorial for this lets me know i will make one.

double-exposure_zpsrkwuv8pz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

This is a fair attempt at a double exposure, thanks for sharing. The only thing I can really say is that I think your on the right track!

Here are some TUTORIALS on the technique that I hope you can benefit from.

It takes patience, practice, and perseverance to get good with Photoshop. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Tom Mann

Guru
Yes, indeed -- welcome!

I agree with everything that Sam said, and, in addition, I would make one specific, easy to execute suggestion: the color balance of the hand, nose, and the RH side of the composite is much warmer than that of the LHS of your image. This makes the effect look really obvious and much less believable. Cool down the RHS, and IMHO, that will help a lot. Other suggestions, if you are interested.

Cheers,

Tom M

If you google double exposure tutorial Photoshop you'll get over 400 000 results.
This means that thousands of people have done the same thing already. Therefore it is extremly difficult to impress someone with an image like this.
Your posted image is pleasant to look at, though it has some flaws, as Sam and Tom already mentioned. To post a tutorial of it not really a good idea.

Tom Mann

Guru
Chris: "...To post a tutorial of it is not really a good idea..."

...or, at least will not stand out from all the others on the same subject, and hence probably not be the best use of your time other than if you want to simply get some practice in making tutorials.

Just our 2 cents.

Tom M

Hello and welcome to PSG.

This is a fair attempt at a double exposure, thanks for sharing. The only thing I can really say is that I think your on the right track!

Here are some TUTORIALS on the technique that I hope you can benefit from.

It takes patience, practice, and perseverance to get good with Photoshop. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Thank you IamSam, Im actually looking for tutoirial about color grading, do you have any recommend for me?

Yes, indeed -- welcome!

I agree with everything that Sam said, and, in addition, I would make one specific, easy to execute suggestion: the color balance of the hand, nose, and the RH side of the composite is much warmer than that of the LHS of your image. This makes the effect look really obvious and much less believable. Cool down the RHS, and IMHO, that will help a lot. Other suggestions, if you are interested.

Cheers,

Tom M

Thank You, I thought the effect wasnt strong enough so even duplicated it LOL. Im interested in color grading, can you give me some suggestion about that? any tutorial or helpful information? really appreciate it

If you google double exposure tutorial Photoshop you'll get over 400 000 results.
This means that thousands of people have done the same thing already. Therefore it is extremly difficult to impress someone with an image like this.
Your posted image is pleasant to look at, though it has some flaws, as Sam and Tom already mentioned. To post a tutorial of it not really a good idea.

I didnt see those as flaws at first to be honest, and even want to emphasize it. Im interested in color grading do you have any recommend for me? i mean I know the basic but still need to improve a lot as you can see here. really appreciate it.

Looks nice. Might need to match the color in the hand with the face.

color grading is what im still need to improve a lot. thank for point that out. if you have any recommend for me to improve it please let me know. really appreciate it.

Tom Mann

Guru
You should carefully distinguish between color correction (ie, getting realistic colors, which, often includes color matching) versus color grading (ie, intentionally introducing less-than-realistic colors to convey a mood). IMHO, one should not even think about doing color grading until you become very good at tricky color correction problems, know all the major native tools for CC in PS, etc. The reason I say this is that to do color grading, you are essentially trying to achieve very specific non-realistic colors. However, if you can't reliably produce a realistic set of colors on demand, it's unlikely you'll be able to produce specific non-realistic colors that only exist in your mind.

That being said, here's a nice video tutorial on color grading:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuenozbiE0

When you are starting, the best tools to use are PS's native tools. However, once you become quite good and are looking for a way to save time (eg, because you are working under a deadline to color grade a zillion frames of video in 24 hours), then you might start thinking about specialized plugins for color grading. All of the big packages (eg, NIK Color Efx Pro, Topaz's products, onOne's products) help one do fast, reproducible color grading, but, IMHO, the best software for it is Tiffen DFX.

HTH,

Tom M

You should carefully distinguish between color correction (ie, getting realistic colors, which, often includes color matching) versus color grading (ie, intentionally introducing less-than-realistic colors to convey a mood). IMHO, one should not even think about doing color grading until you become very good at tricky color correction problems, know all the major native tools for CC in PS, etc. The reason I say this is that to do color grading, you are essentially trying to achieve very specific non-realistic colors. However, if you can't reliably produce a realistic set of colors on demand, it's unlikely you'll be able to produce specific non-realistic colors that only exist in your mind.

That being said, here's a nice video tutorial on color grading:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuenozbiE0

When you are starting, the best tools to use are PS's native tools. However, once you become quite good and are looking for a way to save time (eg, because you are working under a deadline to color grade a zillion frames of video in 24 hours), then you might start thinking about specialized plugins for color grading. All of the big packages (eg, NIK Color Efx Pro, Topaz's products, onOne's products) help one do fast, reproducible color grading, but, IMHO, the best software for it is Tiffen DFX.

HTH,

Tom M

Another helpful comment, thats really help alot.