What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scary forest

inkpad.t

Guru
Add A Gray fill layer at the top and set to saturation, you can then toggle this layer on and off. this will allow you to judge values , not paint them, this layer just evaluates, then use a layer underneath it, then paint in the values for the back ground, midd ground and foreground, depending on the composition and lighting the background would be lighter and hazy/blurry, again depending how much depth of field there is, the midd ground darker and the foreground even darker. once you have this you can then paint the lighting according to the values.

If you were to turn this in to matte painting at some point and add images, the saturation layer allows you to use curves to adjust that image to the values in either b/g,m/g or f/g areas.

Its a good image you have there but why not play around and add lighting to the trees as is the moon ?.

Good stuff.

Paul

Former Member
Nice work, very menacing and foreboding bit like a Tim Burton movie scene :thumbsup:

Very cool job Jaws...it looks like you know what you're doing.:thumbsup:
I love the eerie atmosphere in your creation.

iamJAWS

Looks awesome man. Kind of has this anime feel to it.

Thanks! Checked your devie, cool cars there :D

Add A Gray fill layer at the top and set to saturation, you can then toggle this layer on and off. this will allow you to judge values , not paint them, this layer just evaluates, then use a layer underneath it, then paint in the values for the back ground, midd ground and foreground, depending on the composition and lighting the background would be lighter and hazy/blurry, again depending how much depth of field there is, the midd ground darker and the foreground even darker. once you have this you can then paint the lighting according to the values.

If you were to turn this in to matte painting at some point and add images, the saturation layer allows you to use curves to adjust that image to the values in either b/g,m/g or f/g areas.

Its a good image you have there but why not play around and add lighting to the trees as is the moon ?.

Good stuff.

First, thank you a lot for taking time for this, im definieatly interested in doing what you said. But I'm kind of ashamed I didn't understand it. My english is not that good I guess. If you would explain a bit better I would be thankful! :D Thanks inkpad!

Nice work, very menacing and foreboding bit like a Tim Burton movie scene :thumbsup:

Very cool job Jaws...it looks like you know what you're doing.:thumbsup:
I love the eerie atmosphere in your creation.

Thanks a lot Chris and Paul! You guys don't know how much your positive comments mean to me. Photoshop Gurus... I'm blushing :D

inkpad.t

Guru
Using the gay layer .... you build your layers doing your work.... put a new layer at the very top of the stack of layers then fill it with a Gray... choose the middle area of the gay section in the colour wheel or square box when it pops up... then set the blending mode of the layer to saturation.

This saturation layer will be able to show you your values in your composition, it will show up the areas of dark and light, ie light and shadows. if your adding images or painting in the back (background) middle or front ( foreground ) areas of the composition you use the curves adjustment or levels adjustment to get then to blend together and keep the same values.

You can also paint over areas with a soft brush set a low opacity in black and white to make them blend together .

Overall this will give you a better looking composition as far as evaluating ( looking ) at your values.

There are many other ways to do values but i like this way of doing it as i mainly do manipulations and matte painting now a days.

Tom Mann

Guru
Of course, you could think about just grabbing your camera and tripod, head out for the night, find yourself a spooky house, and try to explain to the cops what you are doing taking pix of somebodies house at 3 AM. :rofl: I took this one back in 1972 in a very rural area, and fortunately the only complaint I had was from a mule who really didn't like me there and brayed non-stop until I ended my time exposure and left. :banghead:

Nah ... this is a case where putting the scene together sitting at your computer in the comfort of your home is definitely beats getting it right in-camera. :thumbsup:

Tom Mann

Attachments

• DSE_0459-nx2-ps02a-03-650px_hi-for_web.jpg
    DSE_0459-nx2-ps02a-03-650px_hi-for_web.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 15