What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat Alone

MrToM

Guru
Unless its me, that's just too dark to see anything.....no colour profile either I notice.

For anyone else struggling, unless it really IS just me...

black_cat_MT_01.jpg

If its intentionally that dark then its a bit of a waste of time, otherwise I'd suggest a monitor re-cal.

Regards.
MrToM.

ugur

I will recompose it in the recommended way. I neither have information nor have equipment for monitor recalibration but i try to look at results with as many devices as i can. Thanks for advices.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.....but I wouldn't be too quick to change anything just yet....as I said, It may be me.

I'd wait to see if any other members find it dark too....if so then you may have a problem.

If not......then I may have a problem.

Regards.
MrToM.

ugur

Placing the cat in a lighter background would help i think and right rail may be a better choice. Left one has a dark background and a dark cat is hard to see even though i highlighted the outer lines of the cat.

GT-N7100 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Tom Mann

Guru
Dear Ugur - MrToM's comment that the incredible darkness of this image suggests that your monitor may need to be calibrated is very much in line with your previous posting in which you dramatically darkened a photo that was already perfectly exposed. In.a few minutes, I'm going to post a test image. It contains a series of vertical bars that are equally spaced in brightness. If you can't see all the bars, or u can't distinguish one bar from the next, or if several of the brighter bars are washed out, then u have a problem with your monitor or laptop screen -- basically this means that it is misleading you and causing you to make poor editing decisions.

Tom M

PS - give me a few minutes to find the file and post it.

ugur

Thank you for your reply. Is brightness contrast calibration easier than color calibration ? I confused them maybe.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Ugur - Sorry for the delay. I couldn't immediately find my old step wedge test image. Anyway, if you can't clearly distinguish all 20 different steps then you have a serious problem. To answer your question about grayscale tonal calibration (which you called brightness-contrast) vs full color calibration, yes, the first is easier, and, if absolutely necessary, might be done using only the brightness and contrast controls on your monitor, but I don't know of any serious user of Photoshop who does only this.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• monitor_checking_calibration-color_bars-02_numbered.jpg
    monitor_checking_calibration-color_bars-02_numbered.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - FYI, and to answer MrToM's request for confirmation from other PSG members, I have a high end, hardware-calibrated, fully color managed system, and on it, your cat-on-the-tracks was just barely visible. It was much too dark.

ugur

This one should be better ? Also thanks for all your informations you gave.

Attachments

• DSC05612.jpg
    DSC05612.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 8

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great photo.

The cat however, looks to be distorted. It's leaning in an unnatural manner (white line shows angle of lean).
I feel like the cat would be more perpendicular to the track.

Also, I realize that the telephone poles can lean on their own in nature, and this may be the case in this photo, but that one pole is somewhat distracting....for me anyways.

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 10.48.41 AM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
It's certainly better with the cat on that side, but it's still quite dark. For example, if printed in large quantities for a newspaper advertisement the cat probably still would not be seen. The problem is that we can't tell if that degree of darkness is your intention, or u are seeing something considerably brighter on your screen, and that is how u want us to see it.

So, the question is, how many sections could u clearly distinguish on the 20 step gray wedge?

Tom M

ugur

It's certainly better with the cat on that side, but it's still quite dark. For example, if printed in large quantities for a newspaper advertisement the cat probably still would not be seen. The problem is that we can't tell if that degree of darkness is your intention, or u are seeing something considerably brighter on your screen, and that is how u want us to see it.

So, the question is, how many sections could u clearly distinguish on the 20 step gray wedge?

Tom M
Tom, in gray scales i can see and distinguish all of them. Other colors are also fine except blues. Darkest blues are indistinguisable.

I think the problem is with cat stock becouse if i increase the luminosity of cat it look somewhat unnatural comparing to other parts of picture. I try to hide details and which couses trouble. Its a bad attempt to solve bad manipulation technique :)

My monitor is not top notch but it is ok
for my budget. Simple calibration seems ok but of course not hardware calibrated . Learned more about the concepts, thak you for your information.

ugur

Great photo.

The cat however, looks to be distorted. It's leaning in an unnatural manner (white line shows angle of lean).
I feel like the cat would be more perpendicular to the track.

Also, I realize that the telephone poles can lean on their own in nature, and this may be the case in this photo, but that one pole is somewhat distracting....for me anyways.

View attachment 58220

I tried to align perspective of cat to rail but i think i should do better. That telephone pole is leaned by nature.

Thank you for your good words about original photo. I like photography alot but it requires lots of outdoor travel. Thats why i use photoshop for manipulation as its mostly indoor activity. By this way i can work both indoor and outdoor as a hobby.