What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put a part of image on a side

seven9

hello!

I have an image with like a vertical frame i want to put does frames also on the outsides of the image can it be done? need help
frame.jpg

Thanks galia

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
To add the frames to the two sides of the image, you first need to create extra space for them. Go to Image>Canvas Size. A window will pop up showing you the current height and width of your image (in pixels, inches, centimeters, etc.). In the section for Width, enter a larger number than what is already shown there in order to increase the area on both sides. You'll have to take a guess at the right amount to add, but it's ok to add too much because you can always crop it later. In your sample, I added three inches to the number already there, and the result is what you see in the first image below.

Now that you have created the extra room, make a selection of the top portion of the frame that is already there, and copy it to a new layer. Then rotate that layer 90 degrees and use the Move tool to position it on one side. Then copy it again and move it to the other side. You should now have something that looks like the second image below. Once you have gotten this far, use the Crop tool to trim away the excess space on both sides.

ScreenShot1.jpg

ScreenShot2.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM ............you even made the wood panels full length and line up! Your so good............and I'm lazy.

seven9

To add the frames to the two sides of the image, you first need to create extra space for them. Go to Image>Canvas Size. A window will pop up showing you the current height and width of your image (in pixels, inches, centimeters, etc.). In the section for Width, enter a larger number than what is already shown there in order to increase the area on both sides. You'll have to take a guess at the right amount to add, but it's ok to add too much because you can always crop it later. In your sample, I added three inches to the number already there, and the result is what you see in the first image below.

Now that you have created the extra room, make a selection of the top portion of the frame that is already there, and copy it to a new layer. Then rotate that layer 90 degrees and use the Move tool to position it on one side. Then copy it again and move it to the other side. You should now have something that looks like the second image below. Once you have gotten this far, use the Crop tool to trim away the excess space on both sides.

View attachment 64094

View attachment 64095

Hi rich54!

Thank you for your explanation i will try that but can you show me the steps look on the layers in photoshop?

Thank you galia

seven9

Oh ok but can you show me how you did it?

Thank you galia

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Not much different to Rich54 to be honest....I just didn't rotate anything.

I used various 'sections' of the original as well, aligned them to roughly fit then used the 'Clone Stamp' and 'Healing Brush' tools to blend it all in.

Once I had one side done I copied it, flipped it and used it on the other side...again using the above tools to blend everything in and to remove any obvious 'duplications' from it being a copy.

After that I deleted anything overhanging the inside edges, added a shadow to match the top and bottom and cropped it to taste.

Regards.
MrToM.

seven9

I had a feeling that you use the clone stamp tool So thank you for your explanation i will try it too

Thank you galia

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

If you still have trouble just ask and we can instruct you further.

Regards.
MrToM.

seven9

Hi!

So i did like the Instructions that Rich54 told me but i have problumes first when i did more canvas size it done with background color how do you do it without background? and second when i did it with the frame of the image and turn it to 90 degrees it turn the all layers( the first layer too) what to do?

1.jpg

2.2.jpg

Thank you galia

MrToM

Guru
1. Layer is locked.
Unlock the "background" layer by clicking the padlock. (If that doesn't work just duplicate the layer and delete the old one)

The canvas can be made bigger with a locked layer selected but the foreground colour is used as the fill...your FG colour was black.

An unlocked layer will have a transparent background.

2. You've rotated the canvas not the layer.
Use IMAGE > TRANSFORM > ROTATE... to rotate just the layer.

Regards.
MrToM.

seven9

1. Layer is locked.
Unlock the "background" layer by clicking the padlock. (If that doesn't work just duplicate the layer and delete the old one)

The canvas can be made bigger with a locked layer selected but the foreground colour is used as the fill...your FG colour was black.

An unlocked layer will have a transparent background.

2. You've rotated the canvas not the layer.
Use IMAGE > TRANSFORM > ROTATE... to rotate just the layer.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi MrTom!

First thank you for the seltion and yes i did it works with the canvas size like you did but it does not work for me with the transform it still transform the all layers and not just the image frame layer i send you an image were i use to rotate the image.

frame.jpg

Thank you galia

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Turn your canvas so it looks like this!!!!
We will call this layer "the frame layer".
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.23.33 PM.png

Select "the frame layer" by clicking on it, "the frame layer" should be highlighted.
Now take your Rectangular Marquis Tool and make a selection of the frame wood like this!
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.25.16 PM.png

Now hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selection to it's own layer.
Select the copied layer by clicking on it. The layer should be highlighted.

Now select your Move Tool.
Move the copied selection off to the side like this!
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.28.32 PM.png

Now your going to repeat the process.

Select "the frame layer" by clicking on it, "the frame layer" should be highlighted.
Now take your Rectangular Marquis Tool and make a selection of the frame wood like this!
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.33.14 PM.png

Now hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selection to it's own layer.
Select the copied layer by clicking on it. The layer should be highlighted.

Now select your Move Tool.
Move the copied selection off to the side like this!
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.34.02 PM.png

Repeat the process until it looks like this!!!!
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.34.55 PM.png

To be continued......

MrToM

Guru
SORRY!

My ERROR!

Its NOT IMAGE > TRANSFORM.....oooops. :redface:

Its EDIT > TRANSFORM > ROTATE.

Sorry for that.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's call this the "Frame Board".
Choose your Rectangular Marquis Tool and make a selection around the frame board like this....
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.40.44 PM.png

NOTE: You may have to reverse your selection with SHIFT + Cmd/Cntrl + I

Hit delete.
Your frame board should look like this.....
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.41.14 PM.png
Hit Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.

Now you have to use your Clone Stamp Tool to clean up your frame board.
When your done with the Clone Stamp Tool, it should look like this.....
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.56.44 PM.png

Now it's just a matter of copying the frame board. The Flipping the copy with free transform (Cmd/Cntrl + T) and moving them into position.

Copied and flipped...
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 5.59.46 PM.png

Frame boards moved into place.
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 6.01.22 PM.png

hen you would add the shadow..........which I'm not doing right now.