What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest works

kzOFFBEAT

Hello there!

I wanted to show my latest works and would love to get some critiques on them, what you think I could've improved and so on. :cheesygrin:

My latest manipulation, Clouded Mind:
I look at stock photos on Unsplash and found cloud prictures and thought, what about a person with a cloudy, occupied mind with clouds.

Smoked Pear:
Got inspiration from a picture where someone had an avocado and put smoke on the bottom and thought I wanted to make a pear and double exposure with smoke instead.

Moose Dimensional Exposure:
I asked for ideas, got the answer moose with forest inside it. I went for that idea using double exposure but it missed something, so I made a story out of it. Moose gets exposed to dimensional waste in the forest, then later a copy of him comes through a portal from another dimension. Very random, improvised sci-fi. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

Attachments

• clouded_mind____kzoffbeat_by_kzoffbeat-daz2zv0.jpg
    clouded_mind____kzoffbeat_by_kzoffbeat-daz2zv0.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 7
  • moose_dimensional_exposure____kzoffbeat_by_kzoffbeat-dawurn5.jpg
    moose_dimensional_exposure____kzoffbeat_by_kzoffbeat-dawurn5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 6
  • smoked_pear____kzoffbeat_by_kzoffbeat-daywx0a.jpg
    smoked_pear____kzoffbeat_by_kzoffbeat-daywx0a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 8

fredfish

Guru
Hi there -

I think my favourite is the smoking pear - I like its subtlty. The smoke swirls are almost geometric and I like the way it makes it look like the pear is fading into the background.

The moose photo reminds me of a "Sigma" lens advert from a couple of years back that used similar techniques to simulate hair by blending the face of a woman into some trees (I will try to hunt it out to show you what I mean). Nice interpretation.

The most striking one is probably my least favourite (though still very good). I just think that the cutaway is a bit too uniform and to me it looks more like something stuck on rather than a window into someones mind. I wonder if you made the cutaway follow more closely the contours of the face - particularly the furrows on the guys brow - it might be more effective.

But do you know what - I think I am going to like you hanging around here!! :)

Cheers

John

Last edited:
I agree with fredfish on everything. Keep working at it and you'll find it easier to make things look more uniform. I say find something to do everyday and test out and you'll see extreme growth. It will be hard sometimes but that's how you'll become a photoshop guru then you'll be on the other end teaching people.

kzOFFBEAT

Hi there -

I think my favourite is the smoking pear - I like its subtlty. The smoke swirls are almost geometric and I like the way it makes it look like the pear is fading into the background.

The moose photo reminds me of a "Sigma" lens advert from a couple of years back that used similar techniques to simulate hair by blending the face of a woman into some trees (I will try to hunt it out to show you what I mean). Nice interpretation.

The most striking one is probably my least favourite (though still very good). I just think that the cutaway is a bit too uniform and to me it looks more like something stuck on rather than a window into someones mind. I wonder if you made the cutaway follow more closely the contours of the face - particularly the furrows on the guys brow - it might be more effective.

But do you know what - I think I am going to like you hanging around here!! :)

Cheers

John

I agree on all your points, the pear is also my favourite because of the simple, clean composition.

The Moose one I think I know what you mean with the hair thing, the hair is cut out and the trees are cut out and formed to become the hair. I even think I know which picture you mean, have it on my favourites on deviantart if you wanna look. :lol:

The Clouded Mind one I absolutely agree, I felt the same thing when it was done, could've been more symmetric and following the facial lines accurately instead. My main idea was to erase the right side on the face completely and making the mind inside the eye and forehead only. I felt it was a bit bad after erasing the face, you can see it in my speed art of it if you take a look. I started following the lines of the wrinkles in the forehead and around the face but yeah, it didn't end up completely as I wanted and had my head. But after all it was a learning experience and I know what to aim for later.

It's always good to hear other people's opinions to expand your knowledge and what works and not. So thank you so much for the critique, I will take it in consideration for my next compositions! :cheesygrin::thumbsup: