What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

in to darkness

mitchell B

this was my first creation with depth in it
it was in a time that splitting up and the heart break did not happen yet but was a sure thing te be ..

its my dark interpertation of the "hope, love, faith" theme

these are the parts i used
water 2.pngwater 1.jpgisland  mountain.pnglighthouse .jpgKeuringsdienst-van-Waren.jpghb_2010.225.jpgchicago-skyline-black-white.jpgbouddha.pngaum.pnganker.pngair .jpg196_barbed-wire1.pngred-heart1.jpg

this is the result :

in to darkness.jpg

the clouds, surflines and underwater bubbles are downloaded brushes (way the difficult for me to paint things like that)

its not a project wich im im goning to alter / improve. because i was verry happy with at that time (and still are)

but i am verry interested in what you all see, and what your comments are

on thing i know (and knew back then) that the (how do you say that in english) the aspect ratio , dimensions whatever between the lighthouse tower and the side building are not correct
it was the best i could get it at at that point , and it did not bother me

dont be shy with you comments

BRING IT ON

cheers

mitch

gedstar

Guru
Another nice image Mitch :thumbsup:

Just a thought, maybe if you added a bit of yellow outer glow to the lighthouse it should be radiating some light and with the weight of the anchor wouldn't the heart be straight instead of at an angle.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Nice composite but...

Try not to use too many 'side' objects. The focus should be the anchor and heart, the stone heads and tablet are distracting...
Also keep the proportions in mind. (heart/anchor compaired to island with lighthouse)

mitchell B

Another nice image Mitch :thumbsup:

Just a thought, maybe if you added a bit of yellow outer glow to the lighthouse it should be radiating some light and with the weight of the anchor wouldn't the heart be straight instead of at and angle.

when i made this i was aware of the effect lighting could have, but was still to busy learning other things ...

but although i will not replace the original in my collection, i think i will experiment with your comments (lighting) . just to learn and see the difference

i hear what you say about the heart, but i like the small angel (maybe through underwater flow of water ?) the heart and anchor in a traight line made it to "clean" now there is a bit of movement

liking this forum already .... loving the different views.
its fun to hear how other PS'n people view the pictures (even if we make different choices)

Last edited:

mitchell B

Nice composite but...

Try not to use too many 'side' objects. The focus should be the anchor and heart, the stone heads and tablet are distracting...
Also keep the proportions in mind. (heart/anchor compaired to island with lighthouse)

interesting view / comment :

there is a reason for the side object, so im interseted to hear what you would of done with them after you know what there role is in the picture

as i told its my dark interpertation of "hope,love and faith"

hope is the anchor
love is the hearth (duhhhhhh)

faith : i am not religious as in christian or moslim. i am one of those open spiritiual people. so i find things in buddism, meditation, sjamanism etc etc
so the "side object" have a function in representing my form of "faith"

with that in mind, and given your view on the image i am intereted what you would do with them

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You could put them closer together including them in the focus point...

Great work mitchell... I just love it.

It's a very dramatically arranged composite with a lot of depth, making good use of perspective.

As other members already mentioned, I would remove the lighthouse and the building completely, they are just distracting.

The heart, the barbed wire and the bubbles above need a little sharpening, because these are the main attraction in the image.

mitchell B

i am loving the comments, i should of joind a / this photoshop forum years ago
some of the comment are ofcoure a matter of taste, choice, style (wich is also true for the comment that i give)
so i might not agree or think a like, but i like the discussion

and the fun part (for me at least) is to give the comment a try (even if the comment are a matte of taste)
just to try it widens my field of view for next projects

long story..... like the vibe in this forum

a few examples
no light house
in to darkness no light house.jpg
i understand the comment to focus on the subject, but the light house ads a lot of drama (which i like in this case)

smaller lighthouse with yellow glow
in to darkness small light house.jpg
again the smaller light house would not be my choise but playing with it was fun and gave some insights !!
the added light is afcourse a no brainer but i still have to work on my technic

replaced side items and sharpend heart
sharpend hearth.jpg
replaced side items again a taste thing, this gives me a bit of a crowded feel

the sharpende heart .... yeah like it, dont think i ever used the sharpen filter. for sure gone try that more often

thanks all !

cheers
mitch

gedstar

Guru
I like the new version with the smaller lighthouse, I agree it's a personal choice and everyone perceives things in a different way

i am loving the comments, i should of joind a / this photoshop forum years ago

replaced side items and sharpend heart
View attachment 77760
replaced side items again a taste thing, this gives me a bit of a crowded feel

the sharpende heart .... yeah like it, dont think i ever used the sharpen filter. for sure gone try that more often

thanks all !

cheers
mitch

It looks better, though already over sharpened. Especially the anchor looks very strange now.
If you're new to 'sharpening', go very easy on it. And only use 'unsharp masking'. Here you've got complete control.
Start with this setting. Though never go higher than 1 pixel.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-07 um 21.07.29.png

mitchell B

It looks better, though already over sharpened. Especially the anchor looks very strange now.
If you're new to 'sharpening', go very easy on it. And only use 'unsharp masking'. Here you've got complete control.
Start with this setting. Though never go higher than 1 pixel.

thankssss.... this is the kind of help and tips i hoped to get from joining a forum like this one
:yourock: