What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shutter release fails?

Paul

Former Member
Having an issue with my wired shutter release button, when using it in BULB mode it will only fire.
Firing and releasing in any other setting works fine.

Nikon D3100 - anyone?

Tom Mann

Guru
Having an issue with my wired shutter release button, when using it in BULB mode it will only fire. Firing and releasing in any other setting works fine. Nikon D3100 - anyone?
Hey, Paul - If I understand you correctly, I think you are saying that when you are in bulb mode (ie, manual, and then spin the dial past 30 seconds to BULB), the shutter will open but never close, so, to get the shutter to close you have to do something like turn off the power or switch modes. Is this correct?

Tom M

PS - Also, could you provide a link to the specific wired remote that you are using. Some of them are cheap knockoffs that aren't completely compatible with the camera. For example, I heard of one electronics wiz who had to modify the electronics in his wired remote (...added an opto-isolator...) to get it to work correctly. The remote should have been designed to include that component, but probably to save money, they omitted a 25 cent item.

Paul

Former Member
Correct Tom, and yeah it's a cheap off the net purchase XP is the brand name i did do some research and it looked ok, like i said works great with everything except BULB close?

Tom Mann

Guru
How are you with electronix? If you want, I'll try to hunt down the approach taken by the guy who had to add an opto-isolator to make his work.

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Paul - Sorry for the delay. I tried quite hard to find the article that I remembered, but I just couldn't find it again. The URL you cited looks useful, and I did find these articles (which are vaguely relevant)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc36BNyGEyw, and
http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/

...but nothing that shows exactly the circuit that you need, or even just the description that I remember seeing. I don't have a d3100, so, unfortunately, I didn't bookmark it.

Maybe something will come to me in the future. If I do, I'll let u know. Good luck fixing your problem.

All the best,

Tom

Paul

Former Member
I also found that some makes of personal headphone lead with a on/off switch will work also, once you reattach to the main socket in connection for the camera.