What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a good Parchment Tutorial and Scroll Tutorial

Graeme

Hello Everyone :)

I am wondering if someone could point me to a good Tutorial for making Parchment Paper and also a Tutorial for making a Scroll.

Thank You

Graeme

MsOz

Power User
I haven't done one for years, but I know there is a good parchment tutorial out there. Try www.dogpile.com with the keywords "Photoshop parchment tutorial" and you'll find it fast enough.

You'll probably do just as well with the keywords "Photoshop Scroll tutorial," and you won't have to wait for someone to find the link for you and post it.

Good luck!

vogonpoet

HI Graeme and welcome to PSG!

You are probably going to need to use a combination of the pen tool to make paths for the shape of your scroll/parchment, some use of the gradient tool,(reflected gradient option)for basic depth and then the addition of effects that add some texture and aging to the whole thing.

Its kinda of late here for me, but if I get time tomorrow I will try and make an example for you.

What type of perspective are you thinking of for your scroll/parchemnt? Plan view, straight down, or more orthagonal, 3D type of thing.. that makes a big difference....

:}

Graeme

Thanks for replying,
I am thinking of making it look 3d ish, its hard to say as I havent really seen anything I would like to emulate. It would need to be straight on look to a degree as its for the title cover of the wifes book, she has finaly (after 9years) completed her Family Tree and I would like to do the cover for her.

I was hoping for a few Tutorials to look at so I could get an idea of what I wanted and how to go about it.

Just for the record I am not very clued up on PS as yet and consider myself a Veritable Newbie, but I wont let that stop me :D I am using version 7

Graeme

Hi DAVE (VP) - Nice to see again :perfect:

Thank you for the nice link. I was really impressed with Janee's Linked Letters tut wow super stuff http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/link/linktut.htm

Graeme - Seems I remember there were some parchment challenges here on PSG did you try search? smth could turn up.

Graeme

Thanks for the link, I had a look but nothing really that I wanted, although there are some there that may come in handy in order to add to it, like the page curl or the torn paper effect.

Graeme

MsOz

Power User
Graeme, you will not find an all-in-one, inclusive tutorial. You will have to do some tweaking regardless of what you find.

You've posted this search on a couple of boards, but have not mentioned one tutorial that you have found and discarded in your search. I went searching late last night, and DID find the parchment tutorial I told you about, and the scroll part will not be too difficult, but it will take a bit of hand painting to clean up edges.

My PC with my Wacom is still down, and I detest trying to draw with a mouse, it makes my art look even worse than it does when my lines are straight... :rofl: , but if you want help, you will need to be more helpable.

First, do you have any rough idea of how this scroll you are imagining will appear on the paper? The finished size? Have you done any rough sketches? Do you have any pictures that even vaguely look like what you are trying to do?

It won't matter how many Forums you post on, you will not find a comprehensive tut, and even if you did, it probably doesn't fit your needs.

How does the following "horrid" rough fit what you are looking for?

Graeme

MsOz said:
but if you want help, you will need to be more helpable.

First, do you have any rough idea of how this scroll you are imagining will appear on the paper? The finished size? Have you done any rough sketches? Do you have any pictures that even vaguely look like what you are trying to do?

It won't matter how many Forums you post on, you will not find a comprehensive tut, and even if you did, it probably doesn't fit your needs.

How does the following "horrid" rough fit what you are looking for?

Hi, well you make it sound like posting on another Forum is a bad thing?

I have already stated in an earlier post what I was sort of after and that I dont really know unitil I see a few in order to get an idea of what I actually want. That was after all why I asked if anyone could point me to some Tutorials.

I thought there would be plenty of Parchment Tutorials on the net but after looking around and not having any luck I decided to post this request in the hope that others new of some sites that had them. I didnt realise I had to stipulate any that I didnt like and had discarded.

Havent you ever experienced a time when you know what you want to achieve in your mind but cant really explain what it is until you have seen somthing similar?

I am sorry I posted asking for a tutorial I guess I need to be more exact in what I want in future.

Graeme

MsOz

Power User
Yes, when you post on Forums asking for help, you do need to be more specific. There's nothing's wrong with posting on every Forum on the 'Net, if you have the time. [saywhat]
But as I said, you're so vague on what you DO want, and your responses to all suggestions presented to you is "nahh, that's not it..." that your efforts will gain you little. Yet, you cannot provide a picture, nor describe in words what you want...

And then again, you post that you were not "having any luck" in finding parchment tutorials...well, why should we post links to sites or tutorials you've already rejected???

Most of us have the same access to search engines that you do, although some may be more successful at searching. Short of being "psychic" in deducing what it is you are after, all we can do is suggest. It is redundant to suggest tutorials to you that you have already discarded, because they do not fit your needs.

You don't have to apologise for asking for a tutorial, but you should be more specific when doing so, like what efforts you've made and discarded, and what it IS you're wanting. Even a rough doodle would make it easier for others to try to help you.
Havent you ever experienced a time when you know what you want to achieve in your mind but cant really explain what it is until you have seen somthing similar?
Yes, but I don't ask someone to show me something "similar" unless I have an example for them to work from...or an example of what I'm NOT looking for...

There are too many projects and techniques and contests, etc. out there for strangers to take a deep and serious interest in your search, especially when you make it complicated by being vague. I've tried to explain to you why you won't see a vast outpouring of assistance, regardless of where you go because of your lack of contribution to clarity.

Good luck in your search.

Off Topic: (BTW, the obnoxious, overly loud audio on your webpage probably drives more people away than it attracts...or at least makes them scramble for their sound controls. You should at least turn it down a bit.)

Graeme

MsOz said:
But as I said, you're so vague on what you DO want, and your responses to all suggestions presented to you is "nahh, that's not it..." that your efforts will gain you little.

Unless I have missed something, I dont recall anyone posting a link to ANY Parchment Tutorial.

MsOz said:
well, why should we post links to sites or tutorials you've already rejected???

is it really that hard to post a link?

MsOz said:
Most of us have the same access to search engines that you do, although some may be more successful at searching. Short of being "psychic" in deducing what it is you are after, all we can do is suggest. It is redundant to suggest tutorials to you that you have already discarded, because they do not fit your needs.

I wasnt expecting others to do searches for me, I thought that maybe some may have had BookMarked sites that had a Tutorial on Parchment they had used in the past.

This is turning into nothing but a war of words, all I wanted was to GET AN IDEA of what I wanted from a few different tutorials. Not that I had to write a dam book on exactley what I wanted.

I didnt realise that asking for a tutorial would turn into a nightmare.

Forget it, the last thing I want is to get into a arguement over something so petty.

Graeme

vogonpoet

Hi again Graeme, sorry for not getting back sooner, hectic first day back at the office }:\ , catching up on all the voice mail and email,, grrrr

anyhoo, I had a play around and came up with the following. I hope it is something that you were looking for, or similar. I rushed this a bit and didnt bother 'aging it' with dirt or rips etc, so it looks alittle too clean, but I thinkn the general shape and lighting might give you some ideas. It is also too 'symmetrical' cos I was hurrying, all this can be improved with more time...

As I said earlier, this is done using the pen tool to create the shapes, the gradient too to add some depth, then I used a gentle burn tool to accentuate areas of shadow. Added a touch of noise as a very basic texture, a poor Drop shadow etc and some text (ideally an old english font would be better)

Anyhoo... if it is helpful I can show you the paths etc if needed and give yousome more advice..... hope it helps [shhh] :}

panfx

Is this in anyway helpfull?

Hey, I have a little parchment trick I use all the time... is this in any way helpful to you? If so, just e-mail me and I'll send you the full info!

parchment.jpg

e-mail: raye@pandemoniumfx.com

ricib

blah blah blah...
I didnt realise that asking for a tutorial would turn into a nightmare.

Forget it, the last thing I want is to get into a arguement over something so petty.

Graeme

This is the attitude that will be the thing that stops people from offering help.

This isn't the Adobe technical support hotline, no one is paid to help. They do it out of the kindness of their heart.

Graeme

vogonpoet, thank you very much, thats the kind of thing I had in mind, it should look good when its aged etc. Is it possible to get the PSD from you so I can try to work out how it was done? As I said I am not to flash at PS but it will give me something to work with.

Once again, thank you :)

Panfx, that also looks good and thank you for taking the time to reply, I will definately send you an email.

Then my wife can give her opinion on what way she would prefer to go.

Thank you both, at least I have an idea now of what it may look like and I have 2 style options.

Graeme

vogonpoet

For Graeme and anyone else who might be interested, this was the 4 paths I used for my example,

thought it might help.... as a visual aid , the shading is done using selections from the paths and either adding them or subtracting them...