What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Brackets do not decrease or increase brush size

Flash

I have Photoshop CS3 which has been working wonderfully. Suddenly the brackets will no longer increase or decrease brush sizes. The brackets now only change opacity and flow which did not happen before. Can anyone help me solve this issue ?

Steve

Retired Administrator
Hi Flash,

Try resetting your preferences file.
Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Steve

Retired Administrator
Hmm, very strange.
You did get the message "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?" right?

Go to Edit|Keyboard Shortcuts|Tools and scrawl down near the bottom.
Are the bracket keys entered under increase a decrease brush size?

SeniorS

Guru
I don't know...i'm using them all the time and they never fails.
Maybe check language bar and keyboard settings? Sometime with some languages/keyboard layouts some shorcuts "flee away".

Flash

Steve - Keyboard Shortcuts / Tools shows "[" for decrease and "]" for increase which I guess is the norm. Unfortunately currently "[" decreases opacity and "]" increases opacity, and yet Tools shows them correctly set ??

If I select Shift +"{" or "}" the flow is affected when the brush is selected. It does not effect hardnes as far as I can tell, unless flow is the same thing?

SeniorS - the language bar is set at "English, US". I too use these keys all the time without a hitch..until now!!

SeniorS

Guru
Very intresting. Can't imagine what else can be done.
Is that on specific tool like Brush tool or on every tool which use brush?
For example Clone Stamp tool and Burn tool too?

But anyway no advice for me.

P.S. I didn't find a way (like SHIFT+ or else) using [ and ] chang opacity. If it's still posible then maybe keyboard as hardware itself is gone mad. But then there must be such shortcuts.

P.P.S. Maybe lately instaled some "strange" plugins to PS?

Flash

Tried it with the same result. I just found out "Ctrl+J" doesn't work to make a layer copy either. I have not loaded any new plugins to PS. I must have hit the wrong combination of keys at some point ?

Steve

Retired Administrator
You didn't answer me when I asked again but you did get the message "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?" right?
This sure sounds like a screwed up Preference file.

If you did, the only thing left I can think of is to shut down the computer totally and cold boot.
You didn't mention your OS but on a PC this sometimes helps.

Flash

Yep, I got your message to "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?" and did same twice. That didn't work either.

I've also tried the shut down and cold boot without effect also. The only thing I can think of that I haven't done is to delete Photoshop from my PC and re-install. I'm not sure that's a good idea but...?

Thanks for the good try to help !!

SeniorS

Guru
I don't know, that i think will not work but why not to try.
Here is keyboard shortcuts......, which i don't know how to upload.... :(

So maybe get from other PS thats shortcut saved and load it on your PS.

chinapaintr3

I have CS4 and this started to happen with me too just this week. Two days ago they worked then they stopped. I use a Wacom tablet and I think there was an update that might have caused this. Do you use a Wacom?

Last edited:

Flash

No, I don't have a Wacom tablet. My CS3 has been performing beautifly for quite some time until this happened. My operating system is now Windows 7 which I've had for several months with PS working fine. There have been a lot of Windows updates but I doubt that's an issue since no one else but us seems to have the problem.
The only graphics software that's been added in the last several months is Inkscape, but PS worked fine after that also. It has to be something I did but what ? If you have any luck let me know. Thanks !

Jan Loos

I know this is an old topic but i registered because i had the same problem and i was searching the forums.

I fixed the problem by changing the keyboard language on the taskbar. Sometimes i accidently press left CTRL-SHIFT or left ALT-SHIFT. This changes the keyboard language and stops the photoshop keyboard shortcuts from working correctly.