What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hello new member with a question!!

solley1234

Hi im a new member and unfamiliar with using photoshop, before I start trying is there anyone who can let me know if what I want to do even possible........

I recently got married and my sister in law mentioned that she never asked the photographer to take a photo of her, her husband and 2 children on there own, as they were all dressed up! As a present to her I want to take a photo with myself and my husband in and remove us from this and group her family together. Sorry for the long winded explanation but is this even possible?

Any help would be much appreciated!

kindest regards

iDad

Guru
Sounds possible but probably require a bit of time to do it right

Stric9

Power User
Why don't you post the photo so we can give you a more specific answer.

Steve

Retired Administrator
......................... As a present to her I want to take a photo with myself and my husband in and remove us from this and group her family together. ................

It would be possible but depending on the lighting and background it could be very difficult or next to impossible for a novice PS user.
You can't post a link but you can post the image directly in this thread.
Post the image and we'll guide you through it.
What version of Photoshop do you have?

hawkeye

Guru
Steve touched upon the most important factor, lighting. Try to duplicate the lighting as closely as possible, it will make it much easier to do a convincing job.

Sierraccr

Power User
Welcome!

I've done this before and I agree with the others that it's not easy to get it looking right. Steve is right - duplicate both the lighting and the angle of the light as closely as possible. If the original was taken outside on a sunny day, take the picture you want to cut in outside on a sunny day at approximately the same time of day.

Or did you mean that you wanted to simply remove yourself and your husband from an existing photograph? If that's the case, you eliminate the difficulties of trying to combine two different photographs. Although exacting and fussy work, either one can be done in Photoshop be someone with some experience.

Either scenario would be quite difficult for a novice to do without help. And you've come to the right place for help!!

solley1234

thank you for your reply.

i have been trying to upload the photo but doesnt seem to work......not sure why its not working - when i upload it, it doesnt seem to do anything?

Krs

Sarah

solley1234

Why don't you post the photo so we can give you a more specific answer.

hi many thanks for taking the time to reply - i have tried to upload it but it doesnt seem to work, its a JPG so not sure why its not working? Im not having much luck at the moment!

solley1234

Hey thanks - thats how i was trying to do it but once I have choosen the picture and click upload photo it doesnt seem to do anything!

solley1234

Hey - thank you for your reply! Yes that's what I meant I want to remove me and my husband! You put it a much better way!

Vafann

Guru
Hey thanks - thats how i was trying to do it but once I have choosen the picture and click upload photo it doesnt seem to do anything!

If you are using IE9, try clicking the "Broken page" icon at the top of this page. I had that problem too at first :)

solley1234

Hey thanks to everyone who has helped so far, i have now been able to upload the picture so if anyone can help that will be really appreciated

Sierraccr

Power User
This is honestly the best I could do in the time I had. It looked very unnatural to have the huge space for you and your husband between the two children, so I re-arranged the geography of the venue a bit. ;)

Wedding1 copy.jpg

claresphotos

Yes it is, you need to look into 'photo montage', there are various ways in which you can do this. Mainly by making layers and copying.

claresphotos

I have just seen your finished photo, you know it doesn't look bad. The Lighting matches the layers and background, so you can't tell its a montage at all.