What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, world (of photoshop users)!

Jody S

Just a few words to introduce myself:

I am a 30+ years photographer who has very basic photoshop skills, I use pre-1930s equipment for a hybrid 8x10 film/scan negative/digital editing (minimal) workflow.

I recently got a new job where I have to take and edit product photos, create virtual samples, the sort of graphic design work I've stayed away from as much as possible. My photoshop skills are not up to the task (I understand the concept of layers...), and I need a quick resource to find answers to the stupid questions! Hopefully new ideas as well.

I'm currently working on a product in clear plastic packaging, I came to this forum while searching for a way to make the extremities of the packaging semi-transparent so I can have different color or texture backgrounds and have them show through where appropriate, or so I can group it with other products and have those behind show through the packaging. I have found a couple of methods that should work, I'll be trying them later today. So thanks already!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Jody and welcome to PSG. Congrats on your new job! I believe that you should have no problems finding answers here. Can't wait to see some of your work. Good luck!

Jody S

Welcome to PSG Jody.
There are no stupid questions, PS is a complicated program and we're here to help you out.
Thanks, I don't mind the complexity because it's one program that does a lot of different things for different people. What I object to is the counter-intuitiveness of much of the interface, and the reliance on keyboard shortcuts that are nowhere to be found in the menus. If you don't know them, you're SOL. That was ok back when I was running it under Windows 95, but not in 2014.

I can generally pick up on new programs within an hour or so, and figure out how to do what I want. With Photoshop, that is simply not possible unless you're just looking for a way to crop & adjust contrast, or something at that level.