What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi,

My name is Lee. I'm a new member.

I'm not a professional designer. I design simple things like my own business cards for my dog training business.

I'm woefully inept at understanding how Photoshop works. I have version 8.0.

Lately my select tool has been exhibiting a mind of its own, which is why I decided to join the group to see if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it.

That's about it!

Thanks!

Hello Lee and welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you join us and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Which select tool are you referring to? The Quick Selection Tool?

Hello Lee and welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you join us and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Which select tool are you referring to? The Quick Selection Tool?

I Sam,

I think it's called The Rectangular Marquee tool? It enables you to copy and paste an image onto (or into) a file, or copy an entire file.

It started acting up by copying images with rounded corners and faded borders. Now it won't copy an entire file. I have to copy and paste pieces of an image instead.

Remember, I'm using Photoshop CS 8.0!

Thanks again,

Lee

Here's how my business card looks.

2014 Business Card.jpg

If I want to copy it to another file, I have to do it in stages because this is all the tool allows me to copy for some reason.

2014 Partial Bus. Card.jpg

I hope this helps explain things.

Lee, the function of any of the selection tools is not necessarily to copy. It or they can an do create selections which can then be copied but If your trying to copy the entire business card, just go to SELECT > ALL or hit Command/Control + A to make the selection, then copy and paste.

If you want to move the card into another Photoshop document, select the move tool, highlight the layer, (which I assume is merged to one layer) then click and drag into the new document.

Lee, the function of any of the selection tools is not necessarily to copy. It or they can an do create selections which can then be copied but If your trying to copy the entire business card, just go to SELECT > ALL or hit Command/Control + A to make the selection, then copy and paste.

Thanks, Sam! That works perfectly!

I still don't know why the select tool has been acting strangely, though.

Oh, well. Now that I have a way around the problem I guess it doesn't matter much...

Thanks again!

Looks like you've solved this but I'd like to take a stab as to why your rectangular marquee tool is behaving badly.

At the top of the workspace, (the whole PS UI), and with the rectangular marquee tool selected, there is an option labelled 'Style'.
Does this say anything other than 'Normal' by any chance?

If it does then set it back to 'Normal'....it sounds like it may be set to one of the other two options which would indeed restrict the amount of area you could select.

My money is on 'Fixed Ratio'....its all too easy to accidentally change it via a mouse wheel if the button was active at the time.

Just a thought....probably totally wrong.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
At the top of the workspace, (the whole PS UI), and with the rectangular marquee tool selected, there is an option labelled 'Style'.
Does this say anything other than 'Normal' by any chance?

If it does then set it back to 'Normal'....it sounds like it may be set to one of the other two options which would indeed restrict the amount of area you could select.

My money is on 'Fixed Ratio'....its all too easy to accidentally change it via a mouse wheel if the button was active at the time.

Just a thought....probably totally wrong.

Regards.
MrTom.

Not wrong at all Mr. Tom! Thanks! That completely solved the problem!!

Back