What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Many tabs to keep one .psd file

k0st4din

Hello everyone,
I am a new user of photoshop cs6 and do not know how to do the following:
how in "Photoshop CS6" when processing multiple tabs to keep them in the same .psd file and continue to edit the next day?
I would be grateful if you could cooperate with me with the steps to preserve these tabs

MrToM

Guru
You seem to have confused yourself a little there but don't worry, its pretty simple.

There are essentially 2 modes in which to work in PS:
1. Window mode. Each PSD file is opened in its own 'Window'....much like it has been since day 1.
2. Tab mode. Each PSD file is opened in its own 'Tab'. This is new to later versions of PS.

The only difference between them is how they are represented in the workspace.
A 'Windowed' file can become a 'Tabbed' file by dragging toward the top of the workspace...when you see the blue line appear release the mouse button and the 'Window' becomes a tab.
Any new file you create or existing file you open will now be in 'Tab' mode.

Conversely a 'Tabbed' file can become a 'Window' by dragging and dropping the tab into the workspace.
Likewise with the above any new files will now be in 'Window' mode.

Referring to your comment 'multiple tabs to keep them in the same PSD' isn't how PS works....its more 1 Tab = 1 PSD.
You can of course have many 'Tabs' open at the same time but each one is a completely separate file to the next.
This isn't strictly true as PSD files can be 'Linked' but in the context of this question 'Linking' can be ignored.

As long as each 'Tab', (PSD file) is saved it can be re-opened, and will open in whichever mode was last used.

I'm not too sure how you arrive at the thought that each PSD file has many 'Tabs' but that's not how it is.

Hopefully that's a viable answer.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Can you explain what your referring to as 'tabs'?

For me, tabs are just separate PSD documents open in Photoshop at the same time that are docked on the tabs navigation bar. If you drag the tab off the bar, it becomes a floating tab. They are still individual PSD documents.

MrToM

Guru
LOL......how did I manage that? :rofl:
You taught me well!

Regards.
MrQuickerThanASpeedingSam

k0st4din

Hello,
that's what I meant.
You can see the picture that I have several open files - and not to open them separately every time any file I'm looking for ways to be in a single file .psd.
If you have questions, we will answer.
Thank you very much
7673588v.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Ok....let me try again.

You have two choices.....either use the "Place" option or "drag n drop".

"Place" can be found under File > Place...
Open a new document, make it at least as big as the largest image you have.
File > Place... and choose one of your images.
The image will be inserted into the new document on its own layer AND as a smart object IN TRANSFORM MODE.
CHECK the sizes in the menu bar...both Horizontal and Vertical need to be 100%.
Accept the "Place" option.
Repeat this for all the other images.
SAVE the document as a PSD file. (Auto)

"Drag n Drop"....with the images already open as in your example.
Create a new document at least as big as the largest image you have.
Make your first image the Active document.
Select the 'Move Tool'.
Click on the image and DRAG it to the new document TAB......WAIT for the new document to become active....then DROP the image in place.
Repeat this for al the images you have.
Make the new document active one last time and SAVE it as a PSD file.

If that's not what you want then sorry, I really don't have a clue as to what the question is.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
I think I understand what you are looking for, but like Mr. Tom said, PS just doesn't work that way unless you "artificially" stuff them all in one PSD file (as per his last post).

However, here's another option: instead of considering a PSD file to be your basic storage unit, consider a directory to be the unit into which you put related image files. Then, using Bridge or ACR, you can open all files in a directory at once. If they are all PSD files, they will all open as separate PSD files within PS.

Any reason you couldn't use this approach?

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
I would caution you about putting that many different images in one PSD file just for the purpose of "bundling them together".

For example, if the images are normal, full resolution sized photos from any recent camera or any similar image, each can easily be 4000 x 3000 pixels (or larger). If you have 10 of these, and say your work on each image involves 10 layers. Then, the result will be 100 layers. From a practical POV, that many layers will be difficult to manage, even using PS's ability to group layers into folders. Working this way could easily result in very large PSD files that will take a long time to make even minor adjustments, a long time to save such a large file, and it will tax the memory and speed of smaller / older computers and can easily crash such computers.

To be honest, I've been in this game for a couple of decades and never once have I heard of anyone bundling images this way. So, my recommendation is to experiment with this approach thoroughly before you commit to working this way.

From what you have told us, your needs sound similar to the needs of every pro sports, wedding, or general event photographer in the world. They all need to be able to access all the pix from one game or one event as a group, or select subsets of these pix and then work on them. In the last 2 or 3 years, many of these pros have gone over to Lightroom because it has reasonable image asset management capabilities. Obviously, if you are dealing with libraries of more than 100k-200k images, there are even more capable commercial digital asset management (DAM) programs. In the other direction, if you are only dealing with dozens of images, just do what I said in my earlier post, ie, store related sets of images in separate directories and use Bridge to select and access / process the selected subsets.

OTOH, perhaps there is some other aspect to your situation that you haven't mentioned. If so, we'll be happy to chat about it.

Cheers,

Tom M