What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transitioning from PSP 8.1 to Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator CS 5.5

HTwebservices

Hi there,

I'm totally new to Photoshop. I've just had Adobe Master Suite CS 5.5 installed and I'm trying to work out what works best for my tasks, Photoshop or Illustrator (or a combination of the two) I've currently been using Jasc's Paint Shop Pro version 8.1 for YEARS and love how it works. The problem is that folks today want everything is PSD format and I can't save my work as that or import my files into Photoshop.

Any hints on transitioning? I've already downloaded a bunch of tutorials from youtube, but so far they're not all that helpful. I'm more of a "learn as I go" "trial & error" type of a person LOL. :lol:

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself and let you know where I'm at in my journey!

Cheers!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Join Adobe Creative Cloud, get the Photographer's subscription which gives you Photoshop 2014 and Lightroom I believe for $9.95 a month. Once you have Photoshop you will have a lot of learning to do if you have never used it. My suggestion would be to subscribe to one of the online instruction such as Infinite Skills ($25 a month for all the courses, no contrract) Go through all of the Photoshop courses they offer and you will come away with a great basic understanding of the program. This forum is another great source of information but Photoshop, to be really proficient, takes the 3 P's -Practice,Patience and Perseverance. Good luck and Welcome to our forum!

oops..you already have the Suite, You probably will want some instruction also on Adobe Illustrator so grab that while your learning. (I still recommend the Creative Cloud though, You get a lot for the money plus updates as they come out)

Last edited:

HTwebservices

Join Adobe Creative Cloud, get the Photographer's subscription which gives you Photoshop 2014 and Lightroom I believe for $9.95 a month. Once you have Photoshop you will have a lot of learning to do if you have never used it. My suggestion would be to subscribe to one of the online instruction such as Infinite Skills ($25 a month for all the courses, no contrract) Go through all of the Photoshop courses they offer and you will come away with a great basic understanding of the program. This forum is another great source of information but Photoshop, to be really proficient, takes the 3 P's -Practice,Patience and Perseverance. Good luck and Welcome to our forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advice. I'm on a really tight budget right now and can't afford any more subscriptions. I'm already paying for web hosting and a few other monthly things and it all adds up. Are there any free online courses that are worth my time?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I really don't know about free courses. However, there is huge amounts of videos and tutorials out there on Photoshop. If your a person that likes to learn by doing (and sometimes this is the best way) just Google what your wanting to accomplish with Photoshop as the first word and it's is truly amazing at the available information. YouTube is really a good source of info too, lots of tutorials on there. Also, if you have a question that you can't answer from what you find, come here and ask. We have members of all skill levels and with varying specialties. I guarantee you will get an answer, but be patient, as some members are in different time zones and won't answer until your sleeping. Most of the time though replies are pretty quick, especially if you scream HELP!
Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advice. I'm on a really tight budget right now and can't afford any more subscriptions. I'm already paying for web hosting and a few other monthly things and it all adds up. Are there any free online courses that are worth my time?