What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

012anonymousxyz

Hello! I am new to Photoshop and this forum! I'm not very interesting at all. I work 9-5 and then try to relax but end up thinking about work. I enjoy video games and anime. I only recently started getting interested in the arts and right now I am 3/4 of the way through 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.'

The reason I started using Photoshop is to take measurements but I am also excited to use it to enhance my very modest art skills.

That being said, I know this is an introductory post, but I am having trouble scaling Photoshop ruler to what I need and this is a little important for some data analysis. Following a tutorial (youtube search - photoshop measurements), I attempted to scale my ruler, but my situation is a little unique. 343 pixels correspond to 0.25mm and Photoshop is not letting me re-size my image. Any advice is welcome :)!

That aside, are there any other anime fans out there?

Thanks a lot!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Welcome to our forum! I'm sure you will find it informative.
You say you got PS to do measurements? I'm a bit puzzled by that. Tell me more about what it is your measuring exactly and more about your issue.

MrToM

Guru
Ditto what ALB68 said and also include other relevant info such as OS and PS versions.

The PS version shouldn't matter in this case but its always worth stating the basics in case it leads to other things.

PS for measuring eh?
This will be interesting.

Regards.
MrTom.

012anonymousxyz

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I was on a deadline so I used some work-arounds.

I'm using windows 8 OS and photoshop CS6.

I was measuring a lengths of cells (not exactly but to the end goal is the same) using a hemocytometer. A hemocytometer is a grid with known distances between lines. The idea is that you take a picture of the hemocytometer and then take pictures of your subject and then you can scale. I was looking for an easy way to say '1 unit = xmm' (similar to how in the video, the gentleman scales his axis such that 1cm on the axis is 1cm in the picture).

[edit] the pictures are taken with a microscope.

I'm still interested to know how to do it since I did it the long, manual way but I'm no longer under any pressure.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Do you have a vector based program such as Adobe Illustrator or just Photoshop?
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I was on a deadline so I used some work-arounds.

I'm using windows 8 OS and photoshop CS6.

I was measuring a lengths of cells (not exactly but to the end goal is the same) using a hemocytometer. A hemocytometer is a grid with known distances between lines. The idea is that you take a picture of the hemocytometer and then take pictures of your subject and then you can scale. I was looking for an easy way to say '1 unit = xmm' (similar to how in the video, the gentleman scales his axis such that 1cm on the axis is 1cm in the picture).

[edit] the pictures are taken with a microscope.

I'm still interested to know how to do it since I did it the long, manual way but I'm no longer under any pressure.

Thanks!

012anonymousxyz

Hi. I have only adobe photoshop
[EDIT] I really appreciate all your helps but I think I am fine. It was only one line in matlab to transform from pixels to millimeters but I wanted to scale in photo-shop so I could get a physical intuition of what I was looking at (in particular, between different magnifications). After doing manual conversions I got that anyway. So I really appreciate all the help!

I would like to re-iterate: I am a fan of anime and one of the reasons I am looking forward to continuing using photo-shop is to create digital art from scratch or use it to color my graphite art! I am not too good an artist (a beginner) but it is one of my goals to get better. I would love to see some of your portfolios!

Thanks once again!

Last edited: