What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horizontal image smaller than vertical canvas.

owl369

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and quite new to PS as well. I'm trying to fit an horizontal image to a vertical canvas. I tried Trim, Cropping but can't seem to find a good way to let the image fit my canvas without stretching or losing image quality and without changing the canvas size as well.

Can someone please help me out..I'm getting very confused after trying so many unsuccessful options.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 1.43.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 1.43.34 PM.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 1
Just make your canvas size larger so the image fits in it. Alt+Ctrl+C

Edit: Excuse me. I failed to pick up that you didn't want to change the canvas size. Defer to Mr Tom Mann

Last edited:
This isn't a limitation of Photoshop, it's just a sliightly different version of the old saying that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole.

The bottom line is that if distorting the image is unacceptable, then you've essentially got only four choices -- either you:

a) turn the image;

b) adjust its size so that it fits in one direction but there is blank space left over in the other direction;

c) you crop your starting image so that it fits in both directions; or,

d) you modify or re-do the original artwork so that it has the correct aspect ratio. It turns out that there is a tool Adobe introduced into PS in the last couple of years that helps one modify an existing image. It's called, "Content aware scaling". However, it only makes relatively small changes in aspect ratio (ie, not changes from landscape to portrait orientation), and it only works on certain types of images.

Sorry,

Tom

Back