What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS User for 10 years but still learning

Igrecman

Hi,
I started with Corel Draw 5 a long time ago LOL, then moved to Paint Shop Pro. I knew then that Photoshop was supposed to be the best but I was satisfied with what I was using. But the first time I tried PS, I was amazed at all it could do and do it much better. I still have lots to learn, but I make progress every month. I create satirical graphics just for fun in my spare time. I registered here so that I could make more progress with some advice by the gurus here. Have a nice day.
oh..forgot to say I'm from Quebec, Canada

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome to the forum, Igrecman.

Corel Draw and Photoshop each have their own specific usage. You only have to differentiate which one to use depending on your needs.

Glad to have you aboard.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Welcome to the forum, Igrecman.

Corel Draw and Photoshop each have their own specific usage. You only have to differentiate which one to use depending on your needs.

Glad to have you aboard.
Yep, I use Corel to this day for certain things. I do work on a laser engraver and I learned on Corel Draw to run it. I have been a Corel user for more years than I hate to say, Foster Coburn bootcamp in like 1995.
I bought Adobe Photoshop version 7 back when. Played with it off and on until I decided to really learn PS about 2 yrs ago. Bought CS6, came to this forum and here I am today. I have since joined the Adobe Creative Cloud and subscribe to the whole package of software. I have fallen in love with both Photoshop 2014 and Adobe Illustrator 2014. I have taken several online courses on those programs but this forum is my main resource today for education. I learn something new everyday.
So welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff here.:thumbsup:

Igrecman

Thanks for the Welcomes
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one still using other Programs along with PS
I like Paint Shop Pro 9 fro certain things like Text and some useful filters it has,
I miss Corel Draw 5 (1995) LOL for the masking brush. I haven't seen that tool in any other.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one still using other Programs along with PS
I like Paint Shop Pro 9 fro certain things like Text,
I miss Corel Draw 5 (1995) LOL for the masking brush. I haven't seen that tool in any other.

In Photoshop, you can create masks with the brushes.

It's all in your preference to what graphic application suits your work or what you do. I prefer using Corel Draw (sorry adobe) for logos, vector shapes and layout. Outside that, everything else is done in Photoshop.

And in my location, most of my printer/suppliers prefer Corel Draw files.

ALB68 Larry..... I started with CD 3 and hooked on Corel Draw ever since. I'm not that proficient with Illustrator. Tho I've tried starting work with it, I always end up going back to Corel - I'm much, much faster with it..... :cheesygrin: . I'm even faster and more accurate using the CorelDraw pen tool than I am with the PS version.

ALB68

In Photoshop, you can create masks with the brushes.

It's all in your preference to what graphic application suits your work or what you do. I prefer using Corel Draw (sorry adobe) for logos, vector shapes and layout. Outside that, everything else is done in Photoshop.

And in my location, most of my printer/suppliers prefer Corel Draw files.

@ALB68 Larry..... I started with CD 3 and hooked on Corel Draw ever since. I'm not that proficient with Illustrator. Tho I've tried starting work with it, I always end up going back to Corel - I'm much, much faster with it..... :cheesygrin: . I'm even faster and more accurate using the CorelDraw pen tool than I am with the PS version.

Yeah, I think my first one CD 3 too. I'm using X4 now which would be 14. It works fine for my purposes although its not the latest one.
Ai is a different animal. What I like about it is the way it interfaces with Photoshop. I like Ai's text handling capability too. Text to path in Ai is a dream compared to PS. So sometimes, where possible, I'll do it in Ai then drop it back in PS. Corel X4 imports PSD files just fine and I save Ai files to PDF's to import there.

Igrecman

Working with a vectorial graphic programs is something I should try to know better, as most people. I only tried it once to make a 3D title.
I succeded but only because I followed all the steps of a Youtube tutorial. I've had a Wacom Tablet for 2 years but I never use it.

ALB68

IMHO a tablet is essential for serious Photoshop work.
Working with a vectorial graphic programs is something I should try to know better, as most people. I only tried it once to make a 3D title.
I succeded but only because I followed all the steps of a Youtube tutorial. I've had a Wacom Tablet for 2 years but I never use it.