What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member help needed...from Alex

alex birch

Hi
I'm a new member and was wondering if anyone could help me.
I have a logo that is width 432 x height 261 in pixels and 72 resolution. I need to resize this to put on the side of a vehicle.
I have tried Image size and then increased to 1200 pixels then preserve details and put noise up to 100%. It is very pixelated.
All help gratefully received.
By the way...I am self taught in photoshop and have CC.
Thank you
Alex

If you need this logo to look good on the side of a vehicle, my guess is that it's going to be at least a couple of feet wide and high, so you will likely need it up-rez'ed to at least several thousand pixels in each dimension. This is about 10x the pixel dimensions of what you have. It isn't going to happen. That sort of enhancement only happens in science fiction movies, and on television crime shows like CSI, LOL.

You're essentially looking for a computer to accurately make up around 100 new pixels for every pixel in your original. You're not going to do this by any conventional up-rez'ing technique using PS.

Your best bet is to re-do the art work, from scratch, at the needed size, hopefully, in a vector program like Illustrator. Illustrator does have a tool that will try to convert a bit map (like you have) into a vector. While this tool is better than attempting to up-rez it in PS, it makes errors, so, it's best thought of as producing a decent starting point for re-doing the logo.

That being said, we could speak more definitively about your options if we could see what you are dealing with, so why don't you post it.

Cheers,

Tom M

Alex,
Post the image and let me see it. I specialize in making chicken dung into chicken salad using a couple of methods. It may be possible to do this contingent on how complex the image is. (Tom Mann is correct with his assertions up to a point but never say never)

Without going through the process of using Image Trace (in AI), then spending a lot of time tweaking / re-drawing the resulting vector paths / shapes, the best I could come up with in 5 or 10 minutes using only PS native tools plus a couple of plugins (eg, Topaz Clean, Color Mechanic) was something like the attached before and after images. The problem is that my "after" version is, IMHO, just terrible, and even so, still is only around 1000pixels square, whereas you probably need about 4000 pixels square (ie, 16 times the area of mine), plus, you need much higher image quality (not just a larger number of pixels of any quality) to display well at sizes typically used for display on the side of a vehicle. I would only use something like this if it was for EXTREMELY casual use, eg, frats playing a pickup game on the lawn, LOL.

If you want something better, I suggest that you consider placing a request in our fee-for-service (aka, "Freelance") section. The recommended prices are absurdly low, and someone who wants practice in illustration may respond.

Good luck,

Tom M

PS - BTW, the actual size of your logo was only about 190 pixels square, not the 432 pixel number that you stated. Your number included lots of white space containing no image information whatsoever. So, the magnification you need is even larger than I originally stated. You actually need about 400x times more high quality pixels than you supplied, ie (4000/200) squared.

PPS - Click on the larger logo to view / download it at the 1kpx resolution that I provided. Don't just view the in-line preview version.

Attachments

• Tiger-Roarr_logo-tjm01-1kpix_square-01.jpg
    Tiger-Roarr_logo-tjm01-1kpix_square-01.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 2
  • original_from_OP_psd-01b_cropped.jpg
    original_from_OP_psd-01b_cropped.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 19
Alex,
Tom is correct and went to a lot of trouble to demonstrate. If this is to be used as decal on a car, it will really need to be vector content. The overall complexity of this does not allow a simple re-build.

Back