What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Everyone! I need some serious help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, My name is Martha and I am new to the photoshop world. I need some serious help with some photos. I don't know if it's proper etiquette to just post something I need fixed but I am desperate. Plus, I don't feel comfortable posting photos of my child on sites like Reddit and request help, someone would totally troll it.

We recently got our daughters Christmas photos done, paid for them, and then half of them showed up with this huge glare where the backdrop bends to meet the flooring:
P23029TA215809_p_29 copy.jpg

50% of all the photos turned out like this, and we don't have time before Christmas to get new photos done. The photographer refused to give us a refund or discount and we are, to put it lightly, pretty pissed off. Can anyone help me fix these pictures and remove the glare?

Tom Mann

Guru
I am a photographer, and I agree that you have good reason to be pissed off -- maybe less so if the price they charged was exceptionally low -- as the problem with the photo(s) is real, but much less severe than many other problems I've seen.

If, thusfar, you have only complained to them by phone or email, then, if they are some fly-by-night operation, they have absolutely nothing to lose, not even a reputation, by refusing to deal with your complaint.

Personally, the first thing I would do is get their attention by sending them a certified letter stating your intent to drag them through small claims court (if in the USA), or the equivalent in your country, and that you intend to complain to whichever agencies license them to do business in your area, in that particular mall, etc.. If you have a lawyer friend who can draft such a letter and send it on their letterhead for free, all the better. Ask only for a reimbursement, not a re-shoot, because you probably won't like the results any more than you like these.

If you get some money back from them, great. If not, it probably makes little economic sense to pursue it further, but that's entirely up to you.

With respect to what the people on this forum can do to help you out, you have two choices: (a) ask for free help (which you have effectively already done), or (b) post a notice in our Freelance-fee-for-service section. If you elect to use the latter, be sure to first read the Instructions for posting a job in that section before you actually compose your message. For example, you will need to state the number of photos to be worked on, your approximate budget and time frame, and various other details as specified in that thread. I'm not trying to sway your decision, but you should know that the recommended fees are absurdly low compared to industry standards.

Personally, I would classify this job as somewhat above a "simple edit", so according to the guidelines, the fee would probably be in the range of $15-$25 (USD) per image, but the exact number has to be negotiated between you and the responders to your fee-for-service request.

The difference between the two approaches is that you may have to wait for someone to respond to a request for free help, they may be a lot less inclined to work on more than one image for free, and the results are more likely to be quick and dirty "fixes", versus a really top-notch professional job. FYI, requests placed in the fee-for-service section are usually responded to quickly.

Below is an example of what I would call a mid-level repair -- not exactly quick-and-dirty, but certainly not top-notch, either.

P23029TA215809_p_29_copy-tjm01-ps03a_sRGB_8bpc_698px_hi-for_gif.gif

Also please note that the photo that you posted is of very low resolution. You will get better results if you post a higher resolution version.

The best of luck, and do let us know what your plans are.

Sincerely,

Tom M

Hey Tom,

Thank you for replying. Even though the background is ruined the shots of my daughter are to beautiful to waste doing a reshoot. My family saw the shots and are in love with my daughter in them, but I'd hate for these pictures to be framed on their walls with the glare being so noticeable. One of my friends suggested isolating my daughter and putting her on a digital backdrop but with her hair and the sheerness of her dress it's a lot more difficult to isolate her than I initially thought it would be. Do you know of someone that would take the time to fix them for a fee? I am willing to pay anything at this point.

Martha

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hey Tom,

Thank you for replying. Even though the background is ruined the shots of my daughter are to beautiful to waste doing a reshoot. My family saw the shots and are in love with my daughter in them, but I'd hate for these pictures to be framed on their walls with the glare being so noticeable. One of my friends suggested isolating my daughter and putting her on a digital backdrop but with her hair and the sheerness of her dress it's a lot more difficult to isolate her than I initially thought it would be. Do you know of someone that would take the time to fix them for a fee? I am willing to pay anything at this point.

Martha
Hi Martha,
How many photos are you talking about?
Would you like for me to move this over to the freelance section? You will get some qualified people to help you there.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Martha,
If this is good enough, it is for free. Mr Mann may say otherwise, but again..it's free if you want it. I see just a little of the glare on the right side that shows up here in the browser, but I will fix that if you want this.
daughter santa.png

Last edited:
My mistake Tom! I was in such a rush reading your post I missed a fair bit. I'll post all the info on the Freelance section and go from there.

Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice, Larry! PS - I just remembered your PM. I'll respond in a few min.

@OP - Also, of course, everyone has their own priorities, but to be honest, as a photographer, I would also be concerned about the lighting of the baby's face, not just focusing all my attention on the background. IMHO, the shadows (and contrast) on the face are much too pronounced, even harsh, and the illumination level is slightly too weak. If it were me, I would have whomever you select to do the work tweak this as well. See the third frame in my animated GIF, below.

Tom

P23029TA215809_p_29_copy-tjm01-ps04a_sRGB_8bpc_698px_hi-for_gif.gif

Wow that Is a lot nicer as well. I am glad I came here, you guys have given me more help then all the other places I have reached out.

Martha

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since this request has now been moved to the Freelance forum, I'm closing this one.

Please contact a Moderator if it needs to be reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.