What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to cut a part from an image with Quick selection tools

photo photo

hello, I want to cut a part from an image with Quick selection tools. how?
for example, when I use Quick selection tools in part from the image, how do I cut the selected area from image? also I do not want after cutting, I see the area white, I want also the white space wiped put. and instead I see the main screen of the photoshop ?
thank you.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
...... instead I see the main screen of the photoshop ?

Hi there....

When you say "main screen", do you mean you see a checkerboard pattern? This means you've deleted the entire background and leaving you with the object you selected.

There are many ways to select the image and what you use depends on the image you have. If it's just a single color background, you can use wand tool. The polygonal or magnetic wand can also be used but how effective it is will depend on the image you're working on

But if there's too much detail (in both object or background), the pen tool is the best tool to use.

Upload your image so we can see what is best to do with it.....

photo photo

thank you, I want to have a balloon image only and not with sky. I want to separate the balloon from image beauty and I do not want the sky in my image and I want the balloon as the original image in photoshop
balloon_photography-1.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
How are you with Photoshop?

For this image, it's advised to use the pen tool rather than the wands.

But if your not good with the pentool, I'd usually advise beginners to create selections with brushes in quick mask mode. This was done in PS7. In CS, there's only one icon to toggle enter or exit the mode.

mask 1.jpg

Vary the size of the brushes - large for balloon and big areas or 1 - 2 pixel brush for thin, smaller areas. To create straight, clean brush strokes without the jitter caused by "freehand mouse/tablet pen brushing" , use shift key .... click first point, hold down shift then click next point and so on......

When satisfied you've brushed over the entire object, exit the mode. You'll see the "marching ants" selection . This is selecting the background. You have to INVERSE it..... press CTRL+Shift+I (Cmd+Shift+I for mac)..... to select the balloon only.

MAsk 2.jpg

Press CTRL+J (CMD+J for Mac) to copy the selected object to a new layer. I've hidden the original background image to expose Photoshop's empty background.

MAsk 3.jpg

You may need to clean the image further to remove remnants of the sky background. Use the eraser tool with a small brush size and soft edges to delete/clean up the image.

Save the image as a no background GIF. Or drag the object into a new work document.......

Hope this helps you out.....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Just to add for your info, the reason why you see "white" space when you use delete is because you're working on a flattened image. This is indicated in your layers pallete as "Background" layer (with lock). When you hit delete, it fills the selection area with the selected background color (shown in your Tool menu).

You have to assign this to a layer of its own.... double click the background layer in the pallete to make it an editable layer.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
1,With the Magic Want tool set to a tolerance of 10, click in the blue area you don't want. (if you want to verify what the tool has selected, enter Q for Quickmask and the area selected will then be reddish, You can fine tune the selection if necessary by painting with black to add or white to subtract from the selection) Enter Q again to exit.
2.Enter Shift+Ctrl+I (eye) to invert the selection. This will select nothing but the balloon.
3, Enter Ctrl+J. This will place the balloon on a new layer with a transparent background.