What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Image Edit

lueiah

Hey, Just wondering how to edit images so they look like the one linked below? I've tried several trick and photoshop actions, but I never seem to quite right.

Living-room_Stylizimo.png

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

L

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What about this image are you trying to re-create?

lueiah

onlydecolove2.png

If i were to take and image like the one on the left, what kind of steps would I have to do to achieve the look on the right?

Not sure if that makes sense :s

L

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try this.........

Click on this icon...
ImageUploadIcon.jpg

ImageUploadIcon_02.png

EDIT: No need to repost images that I have already added for you.

Last edited:

lueiah

I have tried something similar to that, but I feel it gives a 'fade' effect as opposed to that bright crisp look I am trying to achieve.

lueiah

That might work, I will try it, and also I might desaturate the image as well... What are the numbers for the curve adjustment layer you used?

Tom Mann

Guru
If i were to take and image like the one on the left, what kind of steps would I have to do to achieve the look on the right? Not sure if that makes sense :s

L

LHS is "before", RHS is "goal":
View attachment 53976

LHS is now after my tweaks, RHS is still the "goal":
onlydecolove2-tjm01-acr0-ps01a-01.jpg

If this is close enough for you and you are interested, let me know and I'll write up the steps I took.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Tom, I'm interested. There are some color variations of the Pens and Pen caps in the wooden box, but overall it's a great result that's worthy of a write up.

Tom Mann

Guru
Sure, Sam.

In a case like this, the first thing I do is stare at the starting and goal images and, for each of the major areas in the image, try to carefully figure out which of the following changes were applied:

change in brightness (all tonal ranges)
change in contrast (all tonal ranges)
change in saturation (all tonal ranges)
changes in any of the above three attributes limited to shadow areas, mid-tones, or bright areas.
other changes that aren't covered by any of the above.

Sometimes, if the image is simple enough, and you have a good eye, you can do all of the above "in your head", whereas other times, it helps to actually try out the various possibilities in PS. Most of the time, I use a combination of the two approaches.

In the case of this particular before-after pair of images, once I got past the biggest change, the overall brightening, the 1st thing I noticed was that the mid-tone contrast of the objects on the table had been greatly reduced. When I tried reducing their mid-tone contrast with a single "brightness/contrast" adjustment layer, I saw that the reduction was not enough, so I had to stack two such layers.

The next thing that grabbed my attention was that the slight blue tinge of the monitor screen was completely gone -- not just in the brightest areas, but also in the mid tones of the border around the RHS of the window. So, this required separate treatment.

I noticed other areas that also needed treatment (eg, the colors of the pen tops (as you pointed out), the black of the phone case), but for a quick demo, decided that it wasn't worth it to spend more of my time on these small areas unless the OP actually requests it.

Anyway, take a look at either the attached screen shot of my layer stack, or the PSD file itself. With the above analysis in mind, and the layer names, the function of each layer should be pretty clear.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• layer_stack.jpg
    layer_stack.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5
  • onlydecolove2-tjm01-acr0-ps01a-02.jpg
    onlydecolove2-tjm01-acr0-ps01a-02.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 5
  • onlydecolove2-tjm01-acr0-ps01a.psd
    2.3 MB · Views: 1